Good chili recipes

Ken Z

Anybody got any?

I saw the recipe in McPeake's book, "Rib Stars" and it looks terrible.

Canned enchilada sauce and Ro-Tel??? And basil. Basil doesn't belong in chili does it?

Anybody have any pointers to awesome chili recipes?

Ken

Ken.....

Along with competing in the BBQ stuff I also compete on the chili circuit. I have actually won just as much on the chili circuit as I have won doing bbq. So, here is my ICS competition chili recipe.

A couple of pointers on chili......

in most places, to win, you need to use cubed meat...tri-tip is the favorite, but any meat that will not turn to mush after 2 hrs. of cooking will do.

In the comps, you cannot use any pasta or beans.

Comp chili is much different than regular eatin' chili.

The use of fresh spices, hand ground on the spot will make a huge difference and that is what most competitors do.

You will also see every competitor "layer" their spices. These layers are called "dumps" and they take advantage of the various breakdown of spices as they cook.

Finally, you don't need to cook chili all day! Matter of fact is you cook a red sauce chili much longer than a couple of hours it will turn bitter. At the coomps, you only have 3 hrs. max to cook. So, if you look at most comp chilis they are only cooked a couple of hours at a SLOW simmer......between 185-195º.

Enjoy!

ICS Competition Red Chili

2 pounds Tri Tip beef, cubed
1 Pork bone
1 medium Onion(s), diced
3 teaspoons Cumin powder
2 teaspoons Red chile pepper, fine grind
2, 10 3/4 oz. cans Campbell's tomato soup
1, 14 1/2 oz. can Tomato(s), crushed
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
2 tablespoons Ancho chile, fine grind
2 tablespoons New Mexico chile, fine grind
1 tablespoon Black pepper, Telicherry, fine grind
3 teaspoons Chile de Arbol, fine grind
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper(160,000 SVU)

DUMP 1: Beef, pork bone, onion, 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. ground red chile. Brown. Retain all juices.

DUMP 2: Soup, chicken stock, tomatoes, 1 TBS. each of Ancho, New Mexico and black pepper, 1 tsp. chili de arbol. Quietly simmer 45 minutes.

DUMP 3: 1 TBS each of Ancho and New Mexico, 1 tsp. chili de arbol, 2 tsp. salt. Simmer quietly for 45 minutes.

DUMP 4: 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili de arbol, 1 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. cayenne . Simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove pork bone and adjust for heatness and salt levels.

TURN-IN!!

Makes 2 quarts

Here is a much easier but still tasty version of the above. I refer to this as good eatin' type chili.

Kevi's Award Winning Chili

1 pound Ground beef
1 medium Onion(s), chopped
2, 10 3/4 ounce cans Campbell's tomato soup
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
1, 14 1/2 ounce can Tomato(s), crushed
1 tablespoon Cumin powder
2 teaspoons Red pepper, crushed
5 tablespoons Chili powder
1 can Pinto beans
1 tablespoon Black telicherry pepper, fine grind
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper

DUMP 1: Brown beef, onion, 1/2 tablespoon cumin and all red pepper .

DUMP 2: Add soup, chicken stock, tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of chili powder, salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes.

DUMP 3: Add beans, remaining chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon cumin and all cayenne pepper and simmer another 30 minutes.

Thanks Stogie!

I'll definitely try these out.

Is McPeake's claim true that all great chili has chocolate in it? He says it's the BIG chili secret.

Are there cool chili sites like there are BBQ sites?

Thanks again,
Ken

Ken.....

Check out the following sites. These are the winners of the various Chili Cook-offs and their recipes. You will notice not a single recipe has chocolate in it.

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories_Search.asp?Cat=1

You can also chek Chris's post of the Carol Hancock recipes...NO chocolate.

So, no, I don't see any chocolate being used by competitors. Now, has chocolate been used and won? Yes, most certainly. But when it comes to World Class chili and winning the BIG contests.....no.

Thanks!

I'm especially interested in this "layer" idea for the spices. Any good descriptions/tutorials of the theory in books or sites?

Thanks again,
Ken

I've not been a fan of chili in the past but my eyes have been opened to what looks to be a very tasty meal.

Thanks Stogie for sharing the recipies and also Ken for raising the question.

Ken...

DUMP 1 is until the meat and onion is browned. I notice lots of the comp cooks use a separate skillet to brown their beef. I like the idea of keeping some of that fat from browning in the chili.

I've always thought competition chili should be nothing but meat and liquid, with all the spices being ground and mixed up in the broth/liquid. Certainly no pasta or beans.

Question: as opposed to around the house "eatin" chili, do you think there should be any discernable chopped onions or peppers in competition chili?

One quick question. You talk about these different "dumps". How do you go about doing this? Do you cook each dump seperatly, and then at the very end, you just dump everything into one pot and eat?

Or, do you cook the first dump, throw it in a pot, cook the second, throw it in the pot, cook the third, etc...

Or, do you cook the first dump in one pan, then throw the second dump in the first pan, then throw the third dump in the first pan?

Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but I just want to make sure I get all the right spices. To my knowledge, Red Chile Pepper and the Chile de Arbol are both the same. Is one fresh and the other dried?

Thanks for sharing the recipe too! Can't wait to try it!

thanks for the link. I went to the local store and was able to find all the ingredients. I'm going to plan on making it tomorrow so we shall see what happens!

Again, thank you for chiming in!

To get use of the WSM in the recipe. I wonder if subing smoked tri tip or chuck roast would work?

I will try it anyway.

John

This is from Jerry, in Georgia. He fixed this for the Douglasville, GA Chili Cook-Off, October 25, 2002. If this doesn't cure what ails ya on a cold winter evening, I don't think there IS a cure!!!
Jerry's "Bucket of Chiles" Chili (13 chiles)

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, ground
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
4 ancho chile, dried 2,500-3,000
1 guajillo chile, dried 5,000
1 mulato chile, dried 2,500-3,000
1 california chile, dried 1,000
2 pasilla chiles, dried 2,500
1 arbol chile, dried 15,000-30,000
1 pequin chile, dried 75,000
1 chipotle chile, dried 30,000-50,000
1 cayenne pepper, dried 30,000-50,000
4 jalapeno pepper, seeded, cored and minced 2,500-10,000
3 serrano chiles, minced (for heat)
2 anaheim chiles, roasted, seeded and diced 1,000-1,500
1 poblano chile, roasted, seeded and diced 2,500-3,000
1 medium (1/2 pound) yellow spanish onion, finely diced
1 stalk large celery, diced
1 can (14 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
1 bottle dark Mexican beer
2 tablespoon golden tequilla
1 cans beef stock (14 ounces)
2 cups water
1/4 cup coffee
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 pound ground chuck shoulder, coarse
2 slices lean bacon, cut crosswise into thin matchsticks
1/4 tablespoon corn oil
1/8 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon crumbled sage
1/4 teaspoon oregano

INSTRUCTIONS:
Using coffee mill, grind all dry spices into powder. Rinse dried chiles. Cut off stems and slit each chile open to remove stems and seeds. Add to blender.
Add powdered spices to blender.
Add beef stock, coffee and water to blender. Puree to a smooth consistency. Strain out pulp.
In stockpot brown beef, then brown bacon, then brown ham with corn oil. Cook over moderate heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is golden.
Remove stem, seeds and core of 4 serrano chiles.
Remove stem and mince 3 serrano chiles with core and seeds.
Add onions, celery, serrano, jalapeno, poblano and Anaheim peppers to stockpot. Cook, stirring frequently until onions and celery are softened.
Add tomatoes and chile/spice puree.
Simmer covered over low heat, stirring occasionally for 4 hours. Adjust consistency with additional water.
Last two hours, add beer and tequilla.
Increase heat by adding more pequin, cayenne and arbol chiles and adding seeds and white membrane of serranos and jalapenos.

Back