Char Q Question

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I finally picked up a cart this weekend for my Char Q and am planning to give it a first cook in the next few days.

I noticed that the charcoal tray sits very near the cooking grate. I saw that one user modified the charcoal tray to sit lower in the lower portion of the grill, but that reduces the amount of the cooking grate directly over the charcoal

Anybody had a problem with the coals being that close to the food?

Thanks!

Pat

I have a Char Q and you definitely have to keep an eye on things. It sears better than any grill that Weber has, at least in my opinion, so is great for steaks and fish that need high heat. But you need to watch it closely.

I have measured with a grate with a surface thermometer recently and it measured something over 700 degrees. I was using lump, so briquettes will be probably be less.

If you don't need the extreme high heat, just let the coals burn down a bit or use the vents. Even at a lower temperature, the grill will leave exceptional grill marks.

While lowering the charcoal tray may help in some ways, I agree that it would take a bit of the cooking surface away.

Good luck!

Thanks Guys - I'll try it out Saturday night. George, I think I'll do the coals to one side to sear, then move to the other side to finish, kinda like I do on the Performer.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Pat

Back