Ham Glaze

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Posted by Jim Minion in the Beginner's Forum on 12/12/03.

--------------

Glazing Sauce for Ham

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available, as it has more flavor than grade A)
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 ? 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous or thick looking sauce.

That glaze is from Dr Chicken or Dave Spence as he is known in some circles. The injection that goes with that glaze is also very good.

Dr. Chicken?s Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade

1 Cup of Good clean water (if your city or well water has an offensive taste, please use bottled water)
1 Cup of light Karo syrup (make sure it is light Karo brand syrup)
1/8 Cup of Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference)
2 TBS of Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract (this is the only Butter-Pecan extract I could find)
1 TBS of Rum extract (again, I used Watkins because of the better taste than store bought)
1 tsp of Orange extract (this compliments the orange juice concentrate used in the glaze or basting sauce)
1 to 2 TBS Vanilla extract (again, I used Watkins because of taste after the first run)

Directions for blending:

Into a medium size sauce pan add the water, Karo syrup and Amaretto. Stir frequently and heat very slowly to avoid scorching the sugars in the syrup.
Then, add all the remaining ingredients and continue to stir and heat slowly. When the mix looks uniform in color and smooth, remove mix from the stove and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.
Jim

I tried a glaze out of the Southern Living Magazine that was simple and pretty good....

Praline-Mustard Glaze
3/4 cup brn. sugar
3/4 cup dijon mustard
1 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup apple juice

Place ham in a pan.

Stir together brn. sugar and mustard and spread on ham.Stir maple syrup and apple juice together and pour into the pan.Start basting wtih pan drippings half way through until ham is done.

I didn't have dijon so I used honey mustard.It was good, but I think the glaze would have been better with a stronger mustard.

Willy T.

It's my belief that there are nuts in pralines only to allow the consumer to rationalize that he/she is not eating something otherwise composed of 99% pure sugar.

Back