Cook time?

Jason Nelms

TVWBB Fan
Quick question for you turkey pros...

I have a 14 pound whole turkey and 21 pound monster. I will be cooking separately on two different days but plan to cook at about 300 degrees. How long (approximately) am I looking for each bird to cook? I understand it can fluctuate, I'm just looking for a good estimation so I know when to put them on.

Thanks in advance and happy turkey day!

I'd say at 300 degrees the 14 lb will take 3.5 - 4 hours and the 21 lb bird 4 - 4.5 hours. In my experience brining will cut down the cooking time too (in case you're brining).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Nelms:
Quick question for you turkey pros...

I have a 14 pound whole turkey and 21 pound monster. I will be cooking separately on two different days but plan to cook at about 300 degrees. How long (approximately) am I looking for each bird to cook? I understand it can fluctuate, I'm just looking for a good estimation so I know when to put them on.

Thanks in advance and happy turkey day! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here ya go.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookingtimes.html

Scotty W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Which is better for a smoked turkey temps around 325 or 250? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John G. I think it's all personal taste/preference. Many swear by the lower temps, I prefer higher temps. My recommendation is to try both methods and settle in on your preference.

John, both temps will cook your bird. Lower temps will take longer and unless you increase the temp at some point the skin will be less than crispy. Crispy skin is not the end all and bite thru is really good. Again your choice.

Mark

Back