Making a "gas assist" Chimney starter?

Yes you could make something up. They have those light weight camp stoves that burn reg unleaded gas, Coleman and others make them. But since I have a side burner on the gasser and 2 turkery fryer burners I just use one of these to light the chimney.

I use the gas side burner to light my chimney when I use OTG on the back deck but I'm looking for a used turkey frier for lighting the chimney when I fire up wsm which I use on the driveway because I keep it in the garage.

Here's mine.
Bic_Lighter-04826_bs.jpg

I use either the Performer or gasser side burner.

If I had a dedicated, I'd get something that burns propane.... it is easier to find and more universal then a butane burner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
I use one of these!

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How stable is that when the chimney starter is on it? How long do you leave it on?

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-11792-Pocket-Rocket-Stove/dp/...id=1212019517&sr=8-1

Maybe I'll try it some time and see how it works.

The thing is like a friggin rocket ship when it's turned all the way up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Gardner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
I use one of these!

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How stable is that when the chimney starter is on it? How long do you leave it on?

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-11792-Pocket-Rocket-Stove/dp/...id=1212019517&sr=8-1

Maybe I'll try it some time and see how it works.

The thing is like a friggin rocket ship when it's turned all the way up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, That's what I was talking about in my above post. I think that they would be perfect for what you want to do. You could just start out with a 1/4 chimney if your worried about the weight and add more once the 1/4 chimney is lit. I come from the camp, use what you got.
icon_wink.gif

This costs about $15 at WallyWorld.
14204large.jpg

This goes for about $20 at Harbor Freight (I love that store).
model36346p1md.jpg

These are about $0.25 a cube.
firestarter.jpg

I rarely light a full chimney. When I start my chimney, I typically fill it about 25% of the way up to start with and then top it off if needed.
I prefer to put my chimney on the propane grill for just a couple minutes.

I bought the single burner camp stove shown above ($17 at an army surplus/camping store, couldn't find it at walmart). It works great. The chimney sits perfectly on top. I only leave it on for about 2 minutes and then move it to a cinder block to continue lighting. I'll try to get some pics of it in action this weekend.

If you have a choice, you want a burner where flames come out of the side. This way, after you turn your flame off, there is less of a chance that an ash dump will fill up the orifices.

1253591370_e29c3c9fb6.jpg

Back