Competition BBQ Question

I have been watching a few TV programs lately about competition BBQ. The prize money isn't huge. Can you make a living doing the circuit? Are you allowed to sell BBQ to the event attendees?

I think it would be expensive to travel from place to place.

Patrick, there are probably a few consistant top 3 or top 2 placers in comps that could support the sport with winnings. A lot would have to be factored in, especially travel and amount of prize money. Most top teams around here also work full time or close to it as they not only have to support the comps but also the family.

Many of the national top cooks also write books, give classes and travel a lot.

Sufice it to say that probably 97% of the cooks on all of the teams have to have a primary job or some form of income to afford the comp circuit.

Mark

I'm not so sure how realistic it is to make a living on the competition circuit, but if you are permitted to sell food and you have good organization, food, sales tactics and pricing, you can probably make enough vending at any event to cover your expenses related to competing.

Several of the "big" teams make a living doing it....

They have sponsors. They win. A lot. They have a system down and it's usually a husband-wife team. They get to travel and cook BBQ.

Having enough sponsor money coming in to break even on the costs along with winning $5,000 to $10,000 a month is the way to do it.

You hit at contests like Las Vegas, Banjo-B-Que, and several of the others that have become $40k and up purses...those help you make it.

But no, I'm sorry to break it to you, those that vend aren't making it on that coupled with competing. You do not do well with both.

Back