Frustrated - Low Temps ( Long )

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm really getting bummed about not being able to raise my temps without going almost 50% on the vents at the outset.

This seems to happen regardless of what method I use.

Today I'm doing spare ribs. I fired up the WSM in the standard fashion about 2/3 full.

Once the coals were grey , I assembled the unit and added water. The temp shot up to 327 at the vent.

I then added the wood ( 2 Oak / 2 Hick / 1 Cherry soaked about 1 hour ). The temp went down to 208 in about 15 minutes. I waited and nothing happened. After about another 15 minutes with no movement, I opened the vents about 20 % . It got to 222, but then dropped back down to 210.

It's only been 2.5 hours and I am contemplating adding more coals.

This happened with my past two briskets as well, using both the standard and the Minion method.

5 Chunks of wood shouldn't be too much, they are average to small chunks.

It's not that I don't get a great product, but it takes longer and I just hate to keep adding charcoal after such a sort period....not that it's a lot of work...it just seems something is amiss.

Any ideas ?

Steve in Mpls

Steve, this is what I do and I don?t recommend this to anyone, it just works my way ? so far.

I use the ?Jim Minion? method and I virtually fill the charcoal chamber almost to the brim. I then place charcoal about ? way up on a Weber Charcoal Chimney , white in color, on top of my charcoal chamber. In this charcoal chamber, is embedded about 8-10 pieces of wood, (hickory and some oak).

I open all vents and watch the temp, measured on the dome with a Trend Thermometer, until it reaches 250-252 degrees. I then shut the bottom vents down to about 10% open on all three vents. The top lid vent is left open at all times.

With this situation, I can cook at a steady lid temp of 250-252 for 14 hours, maybe longer.

As I said, this is what I do. Perhaps somebody has a better idea or method that works for them.

Chris,

I just use Kingsford and wood. I also double checked my thermometer and it is fine.

Bruce,

Really the only difference is that you are throwing your wood in the chimney first. I'm not certain that would make a huge difference but I may try it.
My temp shoots up to 320 + almost immediately and then plummets once the wood is added.

I don't put the meat on cold...usually room temp..so that wouldn't be it.

BTW, the ribs turned out just marvelous, just took a while longer and an extra chimney of coal.

I think I may quit soaking the wood, maybe that will have an effect.

Thanks for you thoughts,

Steve

Steve
How old is the Kingsford and or has gotten damp?
For a brisket fill the charcoal ring and lite off 15 to 20 pieces, to be spread over the top of the unlit charcoal. This will give the longest burn.
There is no need to soak the wood before
the cook. You can't add moisture to wood you can only cause more smoke by staling the flame point, which is not really a problem
smoking, it's a method used to keep wood chips from burning while grilling.
The reason you are adding fuel is you are starting out with less fuel and you are getting all lit at the very start.
Don't be upset that you have to adjust the vents, that what makes the WSM a good unit, the fact that you can.
Jim

Steve,

Consider the following:

If you are using a themometer in the top vent make sure that it is not closing off one of the vent holes completely..."tip" it into the hole or fab a device to hold the therm to allow ventilation of all three holes...I learned this the hard way...the top vent needs to be as unobstructed as possible.

Don't let your pit temp get below 250F. Once I hit 250F (top air temp)I will open the vents at least 1/2 - 2/3 to maintain temp...remember that the coal has not heated all the way through and reducing airflow for too long my actually hurt you...depending on what happens with the temp I more often than not will have at least 2 bottom vents open all the way...this again will depend on the amount of coal in the pit...good luck.

Steve, I do not put the wood in the chimney, I place it in with the un-lit charcoal in the charcoal chamber in the bottom of the WSM. I want to be clear on that.
Take care and best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back