Smoked eggplant?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I have a couple of eggplants in the refrigerator that look like they're begging to be cooked. Is it posible to smoke them while I do ribs this weekend? I thought of just putting them on the smoker whole for a couple of hours, then serve them in slices with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Does anyone have a recipe for smoked whole eggplant?

Eggplants are usually smoked or roasted at high heat but you can do them low. They won't slice though. You pretty much need to take them till they collapse. If you want to serve sliced then you need to slice them first, before coopking. I'd recommend the former approach though as it is far more versatile. The interior flesh makes a good base for numerous techniques from the Italian caponata (with tomato, capers, onion, garlic, lemon, parsley) to the Middle Eastrn baba ghanoush (tahini, garlic, lemon, yogurt) to the Indian vayngana (coconut, hot chilies, tamarind). Great on bread as a side or app.

Thanks Kevin. I wasn't sure it would work but it doesn't hurt to ask. I like the idea of putting it on bread.

Someone (I can't find the recipe) posted about a smoked eggplant baba gajoush that was supposed to be la bomba, but I can't find it.

[Not to hijack this thread, but when I search...say for "baba ghanoush" (as it is spelled by Kevin in this thread)...it doesn't even bring up this thread, not to mention others?]

I fire-roasted eggplant and red bell pepper, and posted the recipe I came up with in the Appetizers forum, about 3/4 the way down the first page. It didn't get any responses, so it may not be "la bomba".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
I fire-roasted eggplant and red bell pepper, and posted the recipe I came up with in the Appetizers forum, about 3/4 the way down the first page. It didn't get any responses, so it may not be "la bomba". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's delicious. The last time I was going to make baba I made your recipe instead as my tahini had separated and I didn't feel like going through getting that back together. Added a T of roasted garlic along with the fresh since I had it in the fridge. Great on warm homemade pita with grilled lamb chunks.

Sorry Kevin that I didn't reply sooner. I was away from the computer for a couple of days. For the ribs I'm using a rub I made that has dried pear as it's main ingrediant. I never use sauce for ribs. I think the sides will be grilled corn on the cob and some kind of simple salad.

Something like Doug's recipe would be good. The sweetness and 'roasted-ness' of the roasted red ppper would work well with the ribs and corn, the lemon will add brightness to the plate. Consider a fruit juice-based vinaigrette for the salad, one that includes some lemon or one with a fruit puree pluss lemon--or a buttermilk-based vin with lemon plus some pureed fruit alnog with the oil, shallot, herb(s) and Dijon. Just a thought.

I think the recipe from Doug is the ticket. It's simple(which is in my league)but looks very tastey. Generally, I use oil and vinegar and a dash of lemon with my salad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
I fire-roasted eggplant and red bell pepper, and posted the recipe I came up with in the Appetizers forum, about 3/4 the way down the first page. It didn't get any responses, so it may not be "la bomba". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's delicious. The last time I was going to make baba I made your recipe instead as my tahini had separated and I didn't feel like going through getting that back together. Added a T of roasted garlic along with the fresh since I had it in the fridge. Great on warm homemade pita with grilled lamb chunks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It sounds like it. I like the roasted garlic addition to it. Now to find me some eggplant. Doug, sounds like a winner, thanks for posting your recipe.
icon_cool.gif

Back