charcoal scoop

Joe V

TVWBB Fan
What are you using to scoop the charcoal out of the bag? I've just been grabbing it with my hands but I'm thinking there must be some sort of scoop that works well.

Hey Joe, how 'bout pouring it outta the bag into the chimney or grill...?
That might work... then you woouldn't hafta spend money on a scoop. Buy a steak instead
icon_biggrin.gif

Laughing - yeah that would work I guess but these 20lb bags are kinda heavy and I ain't as young as I use to be.
icon_redface.gif

Plus I'd have to have pretty good aim in order to hit those little baskets.
icon_wink.gif

Hand scoops in general don't do a good job scooping up chunky material. Pouring straight out of the bag is the most practical I think.

Seems to me like there should be some sort of dispenser-type devise....or maybe tong-like.
icon_confused.gif

Or maybe I'm over thinking this.
icon_smile.gif

I keep my briquettes in a large plastic bin. I always put on my gloves and load by hand. But I am thinking an old coffee can might make it easier. By hand it takes several handfulls to fill my basket. If I fill one large coffee can that might do it for topping off the leftover briquettes.

I think you're onto something, Shaun. Perhaps I can affix a handle of some sort onto a large coffee can.

Hmmmm....
icon_cool.gif

Try Walmart. They must have a cheap scoop/shovel of some sort with all their other tools in grilling/garden section

Originally posted by Joe V:
I think you're onto something, Shaun. Perhaps I can affix a handle of some sort onto a large coffee can.
The chimney comes with a handle already...
icon_smile.gif
)

Hey Joe, I have often thought the same thing.Currently I just wear a pair of gardening gloves to do the job. However....I have often thought of purchasing an ice scooper like they use in a bar.They are usually metal or plastic. Just a thought...

I use a stainless hand scoop I found at ACE hardware which I use for charcoal from bags and emptying the ash from the WSM.

everyone knows what goes up comes down, but the rules of gravity don't seem to apply to bags of Kingsford. Turn it upside down and you will see not many fall out, which is a big PITA as far as I am concerned I too would love some kind of scoop. Any ideas?

Not a scoop, but the Kingsford Kaddy works well for me.
Home Depot did carry them, not sure if they still do.
KingsfordCharcoalKaddy_l.jpg

meijer has a charcoal scoop for 3.99. it is heavy plastic and works great. they are in the bbq section.

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Not a scoop, but the Kingsford Kaddy works well for me.
Home Depot did carry them, not sure if they still do.
KingsfordCharcoalKaddy_l.jpg

This worked great for me till we got a puppy and this happened...

imageeom.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-07-04

Doesn't he look proud of himself?

You can also make your own feed scoop by cutting a plastic jug. Been using old bleach jugs for years for shovelling out rock salt and other stuff. Milk jugs, clothes detergent bottles, etc... all can be made into a scoop.

That dog has a similar expression as what my cat had when she got ahold of a roll of toilet paper. It's like "what, this is what I'm SUPPOSED to do!"

Back