Q 200 Advice

Gary McD

TVWBB Pro
I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a Weber Q to add to my collection of Weber grills and smoker. Well, as luck would have it I found one on CL, and it's a few years old but it's in great shape (so I thought). It really didn't have much use, but it's a little gunky which isn't a problem.
It came with the adapter for 20 lb tank, which is what the previous owner used. I picked up a new tank with a quantity guage from BJ's this afternoon. I hooked everything up and followed the instructions on lighting it, but it won't light. The starer works, because I can see the spark when I push it. I called CS and they said it's probably the tank, but the tank is brand new. I wire brushed the burner tube, but that didn't help. When I turn the tank valve on I can hear and smell the LP.

Any suggestions on where I should go next?

Suggestion - pick up one of the little tanks from Lowes and see if she'll light with that.

That'll tell you that the regulator and everything is in good shape. Assuming that it lights well with the little tank, that'll tell you that the problem is somewhere with the tank or the line.

I had this happen once when the connector to the tank wasn't tightly screwed on. I also had it happen once after I had the tank refilled and the guy at the gas place turned a little screw on the back of the valve when he filled up the tank but didn't turn it back in line when he finished.

By process of elimination you should be able to isolate the problem. Worst case scenario, the regulator may need to be replaced - Weber Customer Service will, I'm sure, be very helpful if needed.

Good luck and good grilling.

Pat

Pat

I tried the 14.1 oz cylinder this morning and it still didn't light. Accordingly, I ran over to the nearest Weber Dealer and asked for a regulator for the grill. The guy told me that they are not authorzied to sell regulators for that grill. I wasn't going to argue with him, so I came back home and ordred the regulator assy and a new burner tube from Weber. The total cost minus shipping was 31.16

It will be like a new grill now!!

A couple of things to try (if you already have not). My brand new Q had what I would call a handshake issue between the regulator and the supply. It seemed finicky as far as which supply was turned on first the tank or the knob.. I shut both down after the first attempt and waited a few minutes, turned on the tank then the knob and it started right up. I read somewhere that the Q regulators are touchy, not sure if it was a specific build or not? Can you hear the propane running through the lines?

Also, again sorry if this is overkill for what you have tried but have you tried to move the ignitor element closer to the burner?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have you tried to move the ignitor element closer to the burner? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this difficult to do? How do you go about it?

The common problem that you can get is the folded metal box like doo hicky with a vee shaped end that sits over the ignitor gets bent generally upwards. The purpose of the box is to trap some gas in it to give the spark something to ignite. Try re-aligning (bending the box and flap) so they can trap some gas.

Cheers

I should have posted what I did to fix the problem. The spark from the ignition starter was very strong, so I ruled that out as a problem. I finally called CS and they had me disconnect the 20 lb tank and install a 14.1 oz cylinder, which I did and it still would not start. I then replaced the regulatory, and that took care of the problem.

Back