grilled bananas

Scott Davis

TVWBB Member
I came across a quick bobby flay video the other day, I believe it was on the food network web site. I was for a real easy desert, grilled bananas. Put a whole banana still in its peel on the grill. Grill about 4 minutes and flip for another 4. Peel will blacken. Take off when soft and put on a plate. Slice down the length of the banana in 2 spots and remove top section. Slice banana down the middle and spread. Pour in some condensed milk and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. It was really good.

Banana
Condensed milk
Cinnamon

Scott,

Instead of the condensed milk, try maple syrup. It is great! And a scoop of ice cream on the side is wonderful.

Ray

Another option to consider with the condensed milk is Kahlua. Just came back from a week long fishing trip and each night we had Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream with homemade kahlua...mmmmmm....

My wife and I recently ate here

It was awesome. They serve banana as a side dish. I tried it as a condiment for one of the steaks. It paired so well I even got my picky wife to try it and admit she loved it. It's a nice, easy addition to top off a steak.

I've always wanted to try this recipe, I think it would work with bananas as well.

Grilled Plantains with Cinnamon Ice Cream
Recipe courtesy Douglas Rodriguez
Serves: 6

Ingredients

6 ripe plantains
Glaze, recipe follows
Cinnamon ice cream, recipe follows

Pre-heat a grill to medium heat.
Place ripe plantains, with skin on, on grill for 15 minutes, or until skin is dark brown. Remove from grill. Slice plantains and peel off skin. Coat each with glaze and return to grill. Grill for 2 more minutes, or until plantains are a golden brown.

Remove plantains from grill. Serve on a plate with cinnamon ice cream.

Glaze:

8 ounces butter
1 pound brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 ounces dark rum

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir until sugar dissolves. Add rum and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Cinnamon Ice Cream:

3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
5 cinnamon sticks
4 ounces brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup sugar
7 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine cream, milk, cinnamon sticks, and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into the pan and then add whole bean. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat and let steep for 5 minutes.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk sugar and yolks together until pale yellow. Gradually whisk in about 1/3 of the hot cream mixture to temper the eggs. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens, about 4 minutes (do not boil). Strain into a large bowl. Whisk in ground cinnamon. Chill until cold, about 3 hours.

Transfer cold custard to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
I've always wanted to try this recipe, I think it would work with bananas as well.

Grilled Plantains with Cinnamon Ice Cream
Recipe courtesy Douglas Rodriguez
Serves: 6

Ingredients

6 ripe plantains
Glaze, recipe follows
Cinnamon ice cream, recipe follows

Pre-heat a grill to medium heat.
Place ripe plantains, with skin on, on grill for 15 minutes, or until skin is dark brown. Remove from grill. Slice plantains and peel off skin. Coat each with glaze and return to grill. Grill for 2 more minutes, or until plantains are a golden brown.

Remove plantains from grill. Serve on a plate with cinnamon ice cream.

Glaze:

8 ounces butter
1 pound brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 ounces dark rum

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir until sugar dissolves. Add rum and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Cinnamon Ice Cream:

3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
5 cinnamon sticks
4 ounces brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup sugar
7 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine cream, milk, cinnamon sticks, and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into the pan and then add whole bean. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat and let steep for 5 minutes.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk sugar and yolks together until pale yellow. Gradually whisk in about 1/3 of the hot cream mixture to temper the eggs. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens, about 4 minutes (do not boil). Strain into a large bowl. Whisk in ground cinnamon. Chill until cold, about 3 hours.

Transfer cold custard to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice! Bananas Foster! I do this on the grill at night. I add the rum and tilt the pan on the grill over the flame and it fires off in a huge ball of flame! Its pretty spectacular. Comes out awesome to if you grill the bananas first, then make the sauce, serve over vanilla ice cream on funnel cake.

I experimented with grilling a few different fruits, all wrapped in foil with butter, honey, and cinnamon added. Bananas and peaches were by far my favorites. Served over ice cream, the bananas are like griller's bananas foster.

On the bananas, I would slice into approx 1/2 inch slices, put them in the bottom of a foil tent, add the butter, cinnamon, and honey, and seal the foil. I put them on the grill when I take the steaks off, and dessert is ready about the time we're through with the steaks. Pretty much same steps with the peaches (on the peaches, I usually cut the peach up into about 8 pieces and prefer to remove the skin, even though they're still good with skin on).

Hi thank you all for posting your recipe. I thought I should also post my recipe.
"Banana Milk"
Ingredients:-
4 banana,
4 cup milk,
some Jaggery,
and 2 teaspoon Sugar

Method:-
First make a slice of banana, add milk, then add smash jaggery and sugar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy Higgins:
Hi thank you all for posting your recipe. I thought I should also post my recipe.
"Banana Milk"
Ingredients:-
4 banana,
4 cup milk,
some Jaggery,
and 2 teaspoon Sugar

Method:-
First make a slice of banana, add milk, then add smash jaggery and sugar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billy, any reason for two types of sugar? Would rapadura work in lieu of both?

Never mind - didn't look before to see that Billy is a one-timer.

I tried, using rapadura (the ONLY minimally processed sugar) and the results were very tasty.

Back