Weber Slide Aside Lid Holder

Joe P

TVWBB Member
Has anyone every used a Weber Slide Aside Lid Holder on their one touch gold? I have a 22.5 inch one touch gold and was thinking it would be nice to have instead of placing the lid on the ground whenever I need to open it fully.

Send your thoughts. Thanks

Joe,

I have the slide aside lid holder on my kettle and it works great. It is handy to keep the lid that close and off the ground like you said. The only thing I can add is that if you sit the lid down it the wrong way the side bar of the holder will catch the top vent and spin it around sometimes. I didn't even notice it one time until my temps dropped way down that I had closed the top vent and didn't open it back up when I put the lid back on. So now I am in the habit of checking the vent each time I put the lid on.

Randy

It would be nice to have that for my WSM. hummm mmaybe a new mod.

Joe,

Doesn't the hook give you enough room to work? I've never had a problem accessing the grate with the lid hanging off the side.

Jim

I have one built on on my performer. In short I preferred the hook on the inside of the lid that my silver had - I find the lid doesn't go quite far enough into the holder to get properly out of the way when direct grilling.

All
When I demonstrate cooking on the Kettle, I always use the Slide Aside, It may just be my salesmanship but it convinces many users to go and purchase one because of the sheer convenience. However, many very long time users prefer the lid hook, because they are so used to using it, that it is second nature. My two bobs worth (IMHO to use a more recent term) is if you have trouble storing the lid when removing it get the Slide Aside, if you are using the hook then continue.
I always use the hook at home.

To overcome the problem of closing the vent and more importantly to ensure even heat distribution, I always encourage users to orientate the vent so that it is in the centre of the kettle facing forward, the slide aside should be positioned at the rear.
I know, the kettle is round so how can you have a forward position - I call the leg without wheels as the forward leg and orientate everthing relative to it. It makes it so simple then to explain and demonstrate.

Regards

Having the slide aside at the back would be great - if that were the case on my performer it wouldn't get in the way!

Originally posted by James M-B:
Having the slide aside at the back would be great - if that were the case on my performer it wouldn't get in the way!

Hear hear!

The problem I have is with indirect cooking and the hinged grate.

If the slide-aside thing was in the back, I could keep the thermometer pointing forward, and still easily add coals, wood, etc., and also have the vent smack in the middle of my 2 coal mounds.

I wish they would bring back the Master-Touch. A friend of mine had one and I liked the fact that you could use the lid as a wind-deflector. I'm thinking about getting the slide-aside as after buying a new 22.5" One-Touch and knocking the lid off the hook and denting it the second time I used it. I had been using the hook on my ancient Bar-B-Kettle for years and never once did this happen.

I have a 22.5 Red kettle silver from 1989 and the lid holder is a bolt on and is sturdier than the new type. No hook on the lid. $5 craigslist find.

not sure if this applies to the USA or not, but in Canada, the slide aside lid holder is not being offered anymore due to low sales in the past couple of years.

if you find one, don't take too long making up your mind on whether to purchase it or not.

it's still on Weber's website, but then again, they've not updated it with 2007 models yet, so who knows if it will be when they do update it.

Cheers!

Originally posted by James Stewart:
I wish they would bring back the Master-Touch. A friend of mine had one and I liked the fact that you could use the lid as a wind-deflector.

This is the kettle that I own. It was a wedding present 10 years ago, and it never occurred to me that they stopped making it. I have the thermometer in the lid as well on this model, and to me, it's complete. Don't know if there's another model out there that has everything this one has, ash catcher, thermometer, lid holder. My husband mounted the lid holder in the rear, and you can add coals with the hinged grate if you position it perpindicular.

Although I have never liked the idea of having the thermometer mounted where it is on the old Mastertouch and the new and old Performers I like the plastic insulation mounted on the top damper. Although I like the way the Slide-Aside holds the lid a little lower than the built in one on the Mastertouch it's a pain to use with my cover.

No mounted thermo, but I do have two slide asides and I like em a lot. They don't seem to get in my way and I hang them from the side (9:00 position if facing the front of the kettle). When the cooker has cooled I put the slide aside in the kettle, slap on the lid, and cover. Glad I have them.

Rick

I am confused. I guess I don't know what the slide aside is. I was assuming it was like the one on my kettle, but it's different. I have a much older model than probably most people here.

Similar concept Jane. Your lid holder is built into your table (I believe) and the Slide-Aside is a removeable lid holder that just hangs on the kettle's rim. Here's a pic: Slide-Aside

Yes, I saw this and mine does not look like this. Mine is permanently mounted on the side of the kettle. I don't have a table, the MasterTouch is the former One Touch Gold, with the added thermometer in the lid.

Now I'm confused ... lol! What I meant to say was ... I think your set-up has the same hinged lid holder as the Performer. While the hinge mechanism is different, the wire/rod holder for the lid is similar in design to the Slide-Aside. Am I even close?

Yes. I just went on Weber.com and the Performer and the Ranch Kettle both have the same type of lid holder. That's why when you said it gets put into the grill after use, I didn't know what you were talking about. Mine doesn't move.

Back