Lemon Flavor - Sumac? Citric Acid?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Relative to the lemon juice powder suggested in the Butter Sauce for Corn thread:

I was trying to add some lemony flavor to some Israeli couscous as a hasty last-minute flavor adjustment but I didn't want to juice a lemon for just a few squirts and I was out of my mini-lemon juice ice cubes (those have been great - thanks for the suggestion). So I grabbed some sumac and sprinkled some in, thinking it would give a lemony edge to the dish. I was disappointed - I either didn't add enough or it was just a poor choice.

And would citric acid be an alternative? What are the best applications for citric acid? Does heat affect it?

Rita

Hmm. I use sumac all the time for just this purpose. Sprinkle on at serving for best results; stir in if desired, add a little more on top.

Citric acid is not very affected by heat. It is a souring agent and preservative. Those are the best applications for it.

Thank you, Kevin. I was on the right track then. I like the idea of a sprinkle on top. It makes a nice garnish too. I'll play around with it some more to get a better feel for it.

Now that I think about it, that Israeli couscous would have been good with some za'atar in it. I must be having a creative day.

Yes, I think sumac would be good on hummus, but even better, try za'atar (it has a hundred different spellings). The za'atar seasoning contains sumac. PENZEY'S is good, but Kevin might have a more authentic source or a better blend.

Rita

Za'ater is the nut on hummus.

Numerous versions. It's one of those closely-guarded-secrets-of-the-family things.

For hummus I use my day-to-day za'atar, which is quite similar to Penzey's, one I would recommend if you don't feel like making it.

My usual:

1/4 c sumac

3 T Med thyme

1.5 T toasted sesame seeds (toast just before mixing)

1 T greek oregano

1 t marjoram (optional)

a little kosher or other coarser salt

Blend well.

Some za'atars do not contain sumac but I almost never make these. On occasion though, one can either replace some or all of the sumac with finely grated orange zest ( usually go with a sumac-zest blend), or replace some or all of any of the herbs with mint or dill. Proportions are totally open to taste on all ingredients. There is no such thing as a set za'atar.

Thanks kevin and Rita. My hummus has been lacking a little something. Maybe this is the kick it needs

Sprinkle it on top, just before drizzling with evoo and serving.

What are you doing for a hummus recipe?

Kevin, nothing fancy. Just Chick peas,tahini,lemon juice. I KNOW you must have a recipe to share
icon_biggrin.gif

photobucket-3426-1315518820697.jpg

Sure. It is also very simple.

Years ago I use to soak dry beans first. Not anymore. Though I still do that for most things I don't for hummus, much preferring to used canned beans, usually organic, because I use some of the liquid from the can in the recipe. I use less garlic than many (though I love garlic I do not want any prominence here); I also use a bit less tahini.

Using a blender makes this very creamy and light.

1 can garbazo beans (chickpeas), drained, saving 1/4 cup of the canning liquid

1.5 T tahini

1 very small clove garlic or 1/3 medium clove

about 2 T fresh lemon juice

about 1.5-2 T evoo

Mix all very well in a blender then work up to the highest speed. To taste, add:

salt

a little white pepper

Pictured: Hummus topped with a drizzle of Morea extra-virgin and homemade za'atar

I've taken to this as well (canned garbanzo). I use the large can (1 LB 13.oz size). I sometimes leave the tahini out entirely and just make a garbanzo puree with lemon and cilantro and fresh black pepper.

I like it with our without tahini, but with it out it's really not hummus
icon_smile.gif

Depends on what it's going to be on the table with basically.

I simply get out the processor and spin the can of Garbanzos first. I like to add some fresh cloves of garlic to taste (pushed through a press typically)

Lemon I start with juice from one and add a little grated peel/rind.

Typically I use some to a 1/4 c of liquid from the can. Sometimes I leave the liquid out and use spring water.

EVOO to taste.

White pepper to taste.

Tahini to taste, I start with 1/4 to 1/3 c.

Aleppo and or Sumac to taste, if I'm going for that.

More lemon if I want to brighten it more.

Then - cilantro to taste. Depends - sometimes I leave it out. Parsley is nice too.

Drizzle with EVOO finely minced red pepper, sun dried tomato, hot pepper, etc. Whatever you like on top with the oil. Sometimes just cracked pepper.

I do like za'atar and even harissa sprinkle on top since Kevin has gotten me hooked on it.

Rita,
Did you consider just zesting some of the lemon rind onto the couscous?

Also, I have some dried lemon rind in a powder that I got from Penzey's and I sometimes use in a pinch.

Ray

Ray, lemon zest is a good idea, but this was a very last-minute adjustment as I was putting the food on the table. I didn't have time to pull out a lemon and zest it.

"dried lemon rind in a powder that I got from Penzey's and I sometimes use in a pinch"...good pun!
icon_smile.gif

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"dried lemon rind in a powder that I got from Penzey's and I sometimes use in a pinch"...good pun! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
glad you caught it! Ha!

Back