Flank Steak Negimaki

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Now I remember why I don’t cook a lot of Japanese food – so much prep time! A one lb flank was cut into 1.5 x 2 inch pieces, then cut in half length-wise and pounded flat to about 1/8 inch thick or less. Carrots were blanched until barely tender in water with some ginger, soy, salt, and sugar added. Then asparagus and scallions were dipped for 45 seconds each in same.
Two or three pieces of flank were placed on plastic wrap (to help with the rolling) to make a bed of approx. 6 x 6 inches. Some asparagus, carrot and scallion were placed on the bed and rolled up and tied. The rolls were marinated in the cooled leftover blanching broth with some soy and Korean gochujang spice paste added. The rolls were grilled directly and quickly, sliced and served.
Enjoy. - G
There are plenty of negimaki (scallion rolls) recipes on the net. I like the addition of carrot and asparagus.

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

This looks very nice! Both tasty as well as healthy!
When the light returns in a couple of months, I'll have to try this. Nowadays it's dark when I go to work, and even darker when I get home.

interesting pick. I've actually have made that before and have kind of forgotten about it. When setting up the throwdown, I was thinking about the versatility of flank, you found a recipe that demonstrates what I was thinking but I actually wasn't thinking of (if that makes sense).

Your dish is beautiful, its too bad we didn't have more entries, I was curious to see how people use this cut.

and as it turned out, last night, just under the wire, I grilled flank steak on a weber kettle! I didn't even think to take a picture since it was just thin slices on skewers, served with chimichurri. It was a simple app for our NYE party. I couldn't believe the coincidence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I couldn't believe the coincidence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Flank is a great versatile cut. My mom loved to marinate it in Italian salad dressing and grill it. It was really good!

Maybe a lot of work, but it looks great. I especially like the sushi roll look of the plated presentation.

Great cook Gary. I just happened to have a flank in the freezer since I bought a 2-pack for the Throwdown. Speaking of which, I appreciate your timing!

Too crazy - I have a small farm flank in the freezer and was thinking about doing this style before my son heads back next week.

Isn't Negimaki typically just done with scallion?

Just checking, not knocking - your dinner looks awesome, and I like the mix you did in the roll.

Going to be doing something like this in the next 5 days or so. I really like the presentation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't Negimaki typically just done with scallion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. But my family has agreed that its too much scallion taste for us (burp). I had seen a couple recipes on the net that asparagus and/or simmered carrots are sometimes used as well.
Thanks to all for the kind comments!

Yeah, Gary - I'm a scallion fan, but also like the idea of mixing it up. The flank is the platform, per se. I'll be more focused on the right marinade, etc. I like your mix of veggies (what's not to like).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
This is saved and now on my too-do list. Once I get out of Middle Eastern food. Awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Brian - Me too - as in I'm a huge fan along with Indian.

I' thinking I will do the fill with all scallion or your mix - which I really like.

Thinking I will preheat the big CI skillet either indoors or on the Performer.

Looks like best finish is medium rare so could be a very quick process. Want to carmelize the exterior a bit. But looks like that happens pretty fast.

Might "crutch" this one and do it indoors..., nah looks like it just needs a quick roll on the grill.

We'll see.

Back