Cherry Barbecue Sauce (Ver. 1)

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This one I created with ribs in mind. But because of its ingredients I think it would be good on with brisket as well. I am cooking dinner for some people in Georgia tonight so I am not in my own kitchen (I made this earlier while no one was home since Q is not on the menu) and thus there are a few things I did not have access to. I'll note those later. I was looking for a dark sauce in color, rich with cherry flavor but not over the top, with supporting flavorings and spices. I like the way this turned out. It is deeply colored and I think the additional flavorings and spices work well. There is plenty of room for tweaking.

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1 Tbls oil

1 Tbls unsalted butter

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 'coin' ginger, about the size of a quarter, peeled, minced

3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves*

pinch salt

1 can diced tomatoes in juice

10 oz black cherry preserves**

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1 T Worcestershire

1 T Dijon mustard***

1/4 tsp celery seed

2 tsp Aleppo pepper

2 Tbls chile powder****

12 oz pitted Montmorency cherries packed in water, drained (weight is after draining)

2 Tbls Merlot

1 tsp chipotle powder, or to taste *****

2-4 Tbls reserved juices from Q'd meat (See note)

salt to taste

freshly ground black pepper to taste

lemon juice to taste

Melt the butter with the oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. When the foam subsides add the onion, stirring to coat well. Cook, stirring occasionally, till the onion is mostly browned, about 7-10 min. Add the garlic, ginger, thyme, and salt. Stir and cook till fragrant, about 1 min more.

Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, the cherry preserves, balsamic, Worcestershire, Dijon, celery seed, Aleppo, and chili powder. Stir and allow to come up to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, till the solids are very soft and the flavors well-combined, about 20 min. Allow to cool off heat 5 min.

Put the sauce into the bowl of a processor and pulse several times till the sauce is partially pureed but still has texture. Return to the pan. Pour the drained cherries into the pan and crush with the back of a spoon. Stir.

Just before serving, return the sauce to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the Merlot. Add the reserved juices from the barbecued meat 1 Tbls at a time, stirring and tasting as you go. Add the chipotle a pinch at a time, stirring and allowing the sauce to simmer a minute after each addition before tasting. Add lemon juice a few drops at a time till just 'bright' but not lemony. Adjust salt and pepper. Serve.

Note: If you would like the sauce much thicker, reduce it further after adding the drained cherries. This sauce would make a good glaze. A few tablespoons mixed with 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tsp honey (optional) then pureed well (and reduced further if necessary) could be painted on the ribs for the last minute or two of the cook. If doing this sauce for ribs, I'd recommend foiling them at whatever point you'd normally foil, with the addition of a juice of your choice. The drained juices from the cherries straight or mixed with strained o.j. might be nice; apple would work well, as would cranberry. Save these juices when you unwrap the ribs. Further, if you're doing a different meat and/or not foiling but plan to foil during the rest, then save those juices when you unwrap to carve/serve. Mix them with the juices you previously saved to use as the addition to this sauce.

* dried is fine but fresh, minced leaves would work best here. I had no access to them today.

** this was a high-end French preserve. What I would have done if home would have been to use a 24oz jar of Morello cherries packed in light syrup (Montmorencies would work the same). I would lift them out the jar with a large spoon capturing the cherries and some of the liquid (in other words, I would not drain them nor would I use all of the syrup). Crushed a bit with a spoon, they would partially dissolve while simmering; the juices would reduce and become sweeter. I would simmer the sauce longer at this stage (than the 20 min noted above) to thicken it further, approximating the thickness I achieved above, probably another 15 min.

*** I like Dijon with cherries. I use it in a cherry sauce I make for turkey. Yellow would be fine here though. Or a scant 1 Tbls powdered mustard mixed with 1 Tbls water and allowed to sit a min or two would work well too.

**** I used a commercial chile powder (containing a little cumin and oregano); that's what was available here. At home I'd probably go with a mix of ground Ancho and Guajillo chilies with a pinch of cumin and a pinch of oregano. But this worked fine.

***** Occasionally I like a 'smokeless' sauce (allowing the smokiness of the meat to come through), but mostly I like a little smoke in the sauce. The added reserved juices do much add some smokiness. The chipotle adds more plus some heat. For more smoke you can trim the last smallest rib or two off before cooking your slab(s), smoke them alongside but pull them when they're done (which will be early). Simmer them in the sauce to add some smoke and meat flavors. I do this often; it ties the sauce to the meat very well. I am not a fan of Liquid Smoke. You could use a little as an alternative if you wish.

WOW! Now that's a recipe!

I prob'ly would've mixed a little cherry coke and KC Masterpiece, but ....it looks great!
icon_eek.gif

Loren

Well for cryin' out loud, you might as well slap "Loser" on my forehead and march me naked down main street. Either I gave up the search to early (pregoogle days) or it never occured to me to google it. It looks like a great recipe and I am very very grateful that you took the time to develop it. Thank you. Thursdays are my smoking days and I'll be sure to try it this week. I'll let you know how it comes out.

How do you think this sauce woould work with wild turkey? I have an opportunity to smoke some wild game and wild turkey is on the list. I planned to inject with a cherry juice EVOO blend, this sauce seems to be of a similar vein.

Fearless Thom--

I like cherry with turkey, wild or otherwise, but I'd use a lighter touch spice-wise for the sauce. I'd also make it a bit thicker, richer, something to spoon on and spread. Try something like:

3 Tbls unsalted butter

1 Tbls e v olive oil or rendered bacon fat

1 small clove garlic, peeled

1 med shallot, minced, about 2.5 Tbls

1/4 tsp minced fresh ginger, or a pinch powdered dry ginger

2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, preferably, or 1 tsp dried

3-4 Tbls dry white wine

3 Tbls best quality Dijon mustard

1 Tbls orange juice

1/2 tsp green peppercorns packed in brine, drained, crushed (optional, but if you've got them they'd be good here. Or a scant 1/2 tsp dried, crushed--also optional)

1 24oz jar Morello cherries packed in light syrup, or 1 8-10oz jar best quality black cherry preserves plus 1 can tart cherries packed in water, or 1 8-10 oz jar cherry preserves plus 3/4 c cherry juice plus a little lemon juice (See Note)

2-3 Tbls reserved juices from resting phase

Salt

2 Tbls unsalted butter, divided

Crush the garlic clove with the side of your knife. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat melt the butter with the oil or fat and the crushed garlic clove. When the butter's foam subsides add the shallot. Increase the heat to med-high and sauté the shallot till soft, stirring, about 2 min.

Remove and discard the garlic clove. Add a pinch of salt and the ginger and stir; cook just till fragrant, about 45 secs. Stir in the thyme leaves. Increase the heat to high and whisk in the wine. Boil till the wine is reduced to about 1 Tbls, whisking constantly, about 1 min. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the Dijon, orange juice and crushed green peppercorns, if using; reduce the heat to med-low; return the pan to the heat.

Add the cherries (See Note) a bit at a time, stirring well after each addition and crushing some with your spoon. At this point you can purée the whole sauce in a blender, or just part of it, your choice depending on the finished texture your looking for, returning it to the pan. Heat gently 5-7 min, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors. (The thick/thinness of the sauce will depend on what you used for cherries. Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, till the sauce is reduced and quite thick.) If made ahead, the sauce can be cooled, covered, and stored in the fridge till finishing time. To finish, return to a pan over med-low heat, stirring, and bring up to temp.

Stir reserved resting juice into the sauce 1 Tbls at a time, tasting after each addition. Adjust salt if needed.

Off heat, whisk in 1 Tbls of butter, whisking gently so as not to break the butter, till emulsified. Repeat with the remaining Tbls of butter. Serve.

Note: If using the cherries packed in light syrup lift them out with a large spoon capturing some of the juices. If using the preserves and canned tart cherries in water, drain the canned cherries and heat them over medium heat in a separate small pot, crushing the cherries a bit with a spoon; add the preserves a bit at a time, allowing it to melt. If using the preserves and juice, heat the juice in a small pot over medium heat; add a squeeze of lemon juice and the preserves, a bit at a time, stirring till melted in with the juice.

I have been thinking about doing some ribs for the 1st I.S.D.

I was just looking at the info at Penzeys, getting ideas. Then I find this... Kevin has done it again, sounds great!!!

Kevin , can you give us an idea on the rub that would work with the chery sauce?

One idea I had was BRITU as the base adding flavors to match the sauce.

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick--

This would go good with one of the rubs I'm currently playing with found here, if you have the ingredients. (If you happen to have some mahlab on hand (!--they're sour cherry pits), my last version of the rub included 1 T of ground mahlab.)

The BRITU rub would make a fine base. I'd consider adding 1 T of dried thyme and 1 t of celery seed to the recipe. Additionally, since this sauce is sweet, you could replace some of the sugar in the rub, if desired. To do that and to keep the same volume, consider replacing 1/2 (or more) of the white sugar with an equal amount of chili powder or paprika.

Hope this helps.

Kevin ,

Thanks. I have in the past used some fenugreek and what I had was old. I saw the rub post last night and thought it may work, o I picked up some at "World Market" today,along with some other goodys.

Mahlab, now I would never have thought of this. Would this be along the idea"a bone has flavor, so will a seed"?

Thanks again,

Rick

Rick--

I never thought about it that way but yes, I suppose it's similar. Of course, many seeds nad pits don't work; with many spices it's only the seed that has a culinary use, and with a few the seed (spice) is very different from the plant (herb)--think of coriander (seed) and cilantro (herb), both from the same plant.

Though one doesn't see them here, fenugreek leaves are delicious (and nutritious) cooked with other vegs, aromatics, and meats in stews and curries. The leaves have a bit less intense, brighter flavor than the seed, kind of like the difference one finds between celery and celery seed.

Mahlab is interesting. It's usually used in baked goods--I use it for choereg, a Turkish sweet bread, a shortbread, and some Syrian breads. It has a cherry-ish and almond-ish flavor; it's bitter but that softens substantially when cooked. If you decide to get mahlab at some point, buy it whole and grind it yourself.as needed.

Let me know what you think if you make this sauce or the rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">mahlab </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Update: PENZEY'S SPICES now carries mahlab.

Rita

Back