Mustard Coleslaw

Brad H.

TVWBB Fan
My wife is from Memphis and loves Leonard's pulled pork sandwiches topped with their mustard slaw (so do I!)...no other slaw seems to fit after we tried Leonard's slaw including others in Memphis...it is an outstanding compliment to the pork and we've tried many other styles including vinegar based (yikes!) because we can't find anything like the mustard slaw where we now live...

I'm on the lookout for a mustard slaw recipe similar to Leonard's but I'll take any mustard recipe that anyone has run across or uses...I saw one earlier post for "Interstate's" slaw on this site that I'll try...are there others lurking around out there? I think Leonard's uses sweet red pepper in their slaw...anything like that?

I've not had Leonard's but here's one.

This recipe does not use mayo as many do. It's a straight mustard slaw and fairly sweet. The mustard, sugar, honey, and vinegar get mixed together first, then mixed into the slaw. Pour some in, mix, and taste as you go. Adjust with vinegar if desired.

If I have time, I usually mix the chopped cabbage with the salt in a colander, toss to mix well, and leave it in the sink for an hour. The salt will draw excess moisture out of the cabbage and it will drain into the sink. (Good to do for nearly any slaw recipe; it will keep it crisper.) When ready to continue the recipe, wrap paper towels around the cabbage and squeeze to get rid of the moisture that hasn't drained yet. Continue with the recipe and just salt to taste as needed.

Mustard Slaw

1 lg head of cabbage, about 4 lbs

1 lg red bell pepper, seeded, finely minced

2 med onions, finely minced

2 med carrots, peeled, shredded, finely minced

4 t celery seed

2 t salt or to taste

2 t freshly ground black pepper or to taste

1/2 c freshly squeezed lemon juice

24 oz French's yellow mustard

1 c sugar

1/2 c honey

1/4 c cider vinegar

Hot sauce to taste

Core the cabbage. Cut or grate as desired: long shreds, grated medium, chopped fine (a fine chop goes best in this kind of mix, imo).

Put the cabbage in large bowl and add the bell pepper, onions, carrots, celery seed, salt and black pepper. Toss everything with the lemon juice; reserve. In another bowl, mix the mustard with the honey, sugar, and vinegar till smooth (it can help to nuke the honey for several seconds to thin it a bit). Add this to the cabbage mixture and blend well. Add hot sauce to taste. Adjust seasoning.

Optional: Use red and green bell pepper in equal amounts.

Brad, I was looking for a good mustard slaw recipe a few weeks ago. Went to Google. Did a search on mustard slaw recipes. Came up with a ton of them. We found one we liked and tweeked it to what we wanted. It was a great hit. When my wife makes it she has to make twice as much as we want so we have some left over. If your interested I'll send you the recipe. It's pretty simple

Apologies for the delay...

I'd love the recipe...feel free to send it to the address in my profile...I've also looked through some of my Raichlen's BBQ books and found what he considers to be Leonard's mustard slaw...we'll see...

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Brad, I was looking for a good mustard slaw recipe a few weeks ago. Went to Google. Did a search on mustard slaw recipes. Came up with a ton of them. We found one we liked and tweeked it to what we wanted. It was a great hit. When my wife makes it she has to make twice as much as we want so we have some left over. If your interested I'll send you the recipe. It's pretty simple </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Geesh! Post for all to enjoy. We keep no secrets here.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey guys, This is called Texas Mustard Slaw.I can't remember which site I found it on.
They use 1 large Cabbage we substituted 1 lb of slaw mix.You'll have to cut down the portions proportionally if you do that. The original recipe makes 14-16 servings.
1 cup chopped dill pickle
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of mustard
2 teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
2 teaspoons of vinegar
1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
Since we kind of like it on the mooshy side we added 1/4 cup of milk. Then you can tweek it to taste. It tastes better when it has a chance to sit for awhile

Here's Steven Raichlen's version of Leonard's Mustard Slaw. If anyone has eaten at Leonard's, let us know how close this is to the real thing.

MEMPHIS MUSTARD SLAW, RAICHLEN

Makes 5 to 6 cups. Memphis coleslaw is characterized by a tangy, sharp, sweet mustard dressing. Here’s how it’s been made at Leonard’s for more than eighty years. Well, almost: Leonard’s uses canned red peppers, but I prefer the sweet crunch of fresh, which I call for here.
Leonard’s uses a bare-bones seasoning for their pulled pork: salt and pepper, but no spice rub. They cook their pork about three feet above a charcoal fire and do not use smokewood for flavor.

FOR THE SLAW:
1 small or 1/2 large head green cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 red bell pepper

FOR THE DRESSING:
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
Salt

1. Remove the core from the cabbage and discard it. Cut the cabbage into 8 chunks. Finely chop the cabbage in a food processor us-ing the metal blade and pulsing the motor (this is a chopped, not sliced or slivered, slaw). Work in several batches so as not to over-crowd the processor bowl.

2. Cut the bell pepper into the finest possible dice.

3. MAKE THE DRESSING: Place the mustard, mayonnaise, and sugar in a nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Whisk In the vinegar, celery seed, and black pepper. Add the chopped cabbage and diced bell pepper and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, add-ing salt and more pepper as necessary. The slaw can be made up to 1 day ahead.

Source: “Steven Raichlen’s BBQ USA,” page 248, © 2003 Workman, ISBN 0-7611-2015-7 (paper), or 0-7611-3133-7

Back