Cleaning the grates

Arnold

Sorry if this is a dumb question but with my kettle grill I just fire up the kettle wait till it's hot and clean off the grates.Is the same method used for the WSM?I was just wondering because will that not lengthen the time to bring it up to temp?Also any scraping of the grates will end up in the water pan.

Morning Arnold... I use a chimney to start the charcoal and while the coals are getting "to speed" I place the grill over it to heat up the residue then scrape. This method takes some manipulating to place the grill over a very hot chimney. I also use a wad of crumpled aluminum foil as a scraper; it gets in between and over the years I found out that it is more durable that grate brushes. Good luck...

joe

Mornin', Arnold. The next time you use your kettle after a WSM cook, you could always put the WSM grate on top of the kettle's grate while it's getting hot...Brush the WSM grate, remove it and brush the kettle's grate and go on with your cook as usual.

I do the same as Cecil most of the time, seems this is the only way my gasser gets used anymore!

Sometimes when I put the lit on I set the grates on top of the ring for a few and brush off then assemble.

What I do is this. After I take the meat off the WSM, there's usually an abundance of charcoal still in the bowl still raring to go. So I take off the middle section and lay the grate on the still hot coals, then place the lid on top of that. By the time dinner is done, the grates are clean and ready for the next time I cook.

I've gotten in the habit of spraying 'Barbecue' Pam on the grates before putting the meat on. Afterwards I can almost hose them off.

For competition I use those cheap aluminum pans with a wire rack inside because I have to move meats in and out. As cheap as they are I just pitch the pans afterwards and scrub off the wire racks.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Pincus:
What I do is this. After I take the meat off the WSM, there's usually an abundance of charcoal still in the bowl still raring to go. So I take off the middle section and lay the grate on the still hot coals, then place the lid on top of that. By the time dinner is done, the grates are clean and ready for the next time I cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's usually what I do also. I think it was a post from Larry Wolfe that I caught that idea from.
icon_cool.gif

Tim

Back