cast iron cookware

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so i'm intereted in getting a dutch oven/pot. anyone got suggestions as to what size/style to start out with and then buy as i go along? i already have several sizes of lodge pans. i plan to stick with lodge or other made in the us ones. thanks,

I have this camp oven. It is extremely heavy which has its advantages, but it is too heavy to put on a kettle cooking grate or WSM top grate or an oven grate. I works well on the stove top for braising or deep frying, and as an outdoor cooker, and the flanged lid makes it great for camping or baking bread as I wrote about in the grill section thread.

I often use this for pot roast, by initially smoking a chuck for a few hours in the kettle, then moving it to this dutch oven, and putting it on fire bricks inside the kettle along with the meat, veggies and braising liquid.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is how will you use it?

I have the same one as Kevin. I use it for all of the things David mentioned, (bread, Chuck Roast). I've also used it for soups, chili, and other things along those lines. No complaints as of yet from any lodge product I've picked up (also have four frying pans)

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
What advantage is there for aluminum? It is light weight but does not season(?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A main disadvantage of the aluminum dutch oven is that it will be reactive with many things.

I have mainly Lodge brand cast iron. I love it, I cook inside with it, outside with.

I have a 6" skillet, 8" skillet, 10" Deep Skillet, and the 15 3/4" skillet. I also have 2 5 Qt dutch ovens and an 8 qt. Camp stove. I also have a couple of griddles and grill pans. I also have a 8 qt dutch oven with a fry basket, for fish frys.

I would like to have another camp oven, and a few more skillets.

It is good stuff. I highly recomend it.

I like cast iron cooking so much my bbq team name is "Cast & Que"

I've been wanting a cast iron oval for some time, but have shied away from Le Creuset because of the price. There's an outlet store nearby that sells the Lodge enameled 5 qts for under $60 which seams like a great deal. Now I'm wondering why go to the enameled cast iron? Would it be merely for the convenience of clean up or storage of food? If you use the enameled cast iron on the WSM, will the exterior of the pot clean up easily?

George,
I've used my Lodge dutch oven for years. I particularly like using it in winter when I put in the fireplace. I got the one with the original finish and it seasoned easily. Food cooked in it just tastes great.

Back