Fresh Brats

Todd H.

TVWBB Super Fan
For Christmas the wife bought me a few sausage making supply's, because she knew I had a few hand me down recipes I've been wanting to try. So I made one batch of traditional Wisconsin Sheboygan style Bratwurst and one batch of Hungarian Bratwurst. Overall I was very pleased with the brats, They both turned out Excellent, the Sheboygan style Brats where some of the best I've ever had. Here is a few pics.

Christmas presents from the wife
IMG_4261.jpg

Three 4.5 LB Boston Butts getting ready to be De boned and cut into Strips
IMG_4240.jpg

All cut up and into the freezer for an hour or two
IMG_4244.jpg

Out of the freezer once firmed up, and grund into 5 LB batches
IMG_4245.jpg

Seasonings and a couple ounces of cold water mixed together to create a bind
IMG_4242.jpg

Sheboygan Brats
IMG_4255.jpg

Hungarian brats
IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

And for tonight's dinner CIS potato's with onions and bell peppers
IMG_4262.jpg

And of course Both kinds of brats hit the Performer
IMG_4263.jpg

CIS potato's done
IMG_4272.jpg

Brats done, finished direct for a min or two a side
IMG_4270.jpg

Here is your plate
IMG_4274.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone.

I was full after looking at "my plate"! I even skipped dinner! Hey! I think we may have just invented a new diet!
icon_wink.gif

Seriously, those look incredible Todd! I want to get a sausage kit eventually. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the wife bought me a few sausage making supply's </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You lucky dog. And this is amazing!
IMG_4274.jpg

Thanks everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Really nice looking sausage Todd!

What's in the Sheboygan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty basic recipe J, But it seems to work well.

5 LBS Pork shoulder
3 Tablespoons kosher salt
2&1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground Marjoram
3/4 teaspoon ground Ginger
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
2 ounces ice cold water

Thanks Todd, I'll have to convert it to metric weights
icon_rolleyes.gif
, but I'll certainly give it a try.

I've found most brat recipes are fairly simple with tiny amounts of ingredients, but they always work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Thanks Todd, I'll have to convert it to metric weights
icon_rolleyes.gif
, but I'll certainly give it a try.

I've found most brat recipes are fairly simple with tiny amounts of ingredients, but they always work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, I add 2 ounces ice cold water to the spices when i mix it into the meat, to make a slurry. (helps with the bind)

Now that are BRATS! WOW...this is on my list of things to made...quick question...where did you find the casings....

Oh that looks fantastic. How are you liking the stuffer?? I am in the process of trying to convince the wife that I should have one
icon_wink.gif
. Lookin great though!

Wow, Todd - looks amazing! Add me to the jealous list.

Thanks for sharing the recipe and the photos!

Hmmmm... lets see...your wife can call my wife...and plant an idea for my birthday present this year.
I've also thought about doing this for a few years and these pics might just put me over the edge!
I love brats and yours look FANTASTIC!

Back