Turkey burgers

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Tony Serra on 7/26/05:

-----------------

Hamburgers doesn't always mean you have to use beef. I make turkey burgers that are great. (IMO)

1 lb. ground turkey breast. Some stores sell it it already ground up.
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apricot jam
Extra apricot jam for basting

Mix everything together and form 4 patties. Grill on one side til well cooked or it will fall apart. Flip burger. Brush some apricot jam on the burger. Finish grilling. The jam makes it moist.

Burbank Tony

I am in shape. Round is a shape

Looks good. I'll try the apricot glaze.

Because turkey is so lean I've found that it gets really dry if cooked without any added fat. I put in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil per lb. of turkey meat which helps keep it moist and adds a great flavor.

I make turkey burgers frequently and I never use the turkey breast meat. It is too lean. I buy ground turkey (not breast) and mix it with some salt and pepper, about 1 1/2 TBS catsup, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and some sauteed chopped onions (about 1/3 cup un-chopped). I saute the onions in some EVOO before adding to the mixture. If it is only for my wife and I, I add a few dashes of hot sauce (but grand kids don't like it hot).

Enjoy.

Ray

Ah Ray.. a deep philosophical schism in our approaches... I like the sauted onions and ketchup on top. But, I'll take an ecumenical approach to resolve the schism and try your recipe. It does sound awfully good.

I also buy ground turkey but even with the dark and white meat mixed together it often gets dry. I think one of the reasons yours comes out well is because of the oil in the sauted onions.

Dean Wolf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think one of the reasons yours comes out well is because of the oil in the sauted onions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DWolf,

You are probably right. I never thought about the oil in the onions. I am sure it helps with the moistness.

Ray

Here's mine:
I use ground turkey breast, mix in some medium salsa, a little minced chipotle (canned) and a few shakes of a southwestern style spice mix that I concocted. The mix is just chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and a little cayenne. The turkey mixture is really too wet at this point, so I use crushed tortilla chips to soak up some of the moisture, like you would use breadcrumbs in meatloaf. Spray the grill with some non - stick spray and throw the burgers on with some thick sliced red onions and red/yellow/green bell peppers. I melt some pepper jack (or plain jack depending on how much chipotle I used) over the burgers before I take them off the heat, use some sour cream and guacamole on the buns and start assembling with the burgers, peppers and onions.
Good stuff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">mix in some medium salsa </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kirk,

Thanks - I like the salsa idea and will try that.

Ray

Yeah, the salsa works well in there since it already has tomatoes, onions, peppers and other flavors. I also like to put it in scrambled eggs. I hate when plain eggs get brown in the pan but when you add salsa, if anything gets brown it's ususally tomato caramelizing which adds excellent flavor. That flavor is great in the turkey burgers too. In fact, I think that's going to be dinner tonight.

Kirk,

Your idea of adding salsa to the turkey mix sounds really good. And the use of crushed chips to absorb the extra liquid adds flavor and texture. Now I know what I'm gonna experiment with this Labor Day weekend.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Back