Which apparatus should I use???

Keith Pietranczyk

TVWBB Member
I'm getting ready to smoke the 1l lbs. of bacon I currently have curing, this weekend. I own the 22 WSM and a Performer. I want to smoke it around 130° for about 3 hours. Which should I use, the WSM or the Performer? I have not tried to get the WSM that low and have NEVER smoked on the Performer. I would welcome and appreciate all advice regarding apparatus, fuel, etc. as well as any other comments you feel might help!

I haven't tried going quite that low, but on the WSM I've done 4-5 hours at a time a couple of times now at 170 and it's pretty straightforward. I made a ring of unlit charcoal, set a ring of wood on top of that (petty much one lump of wood for one lump of charcoal) and just put a couple of lit coals in the center. As I recall the bottom vents end up pretty close to closed, depending just on the leaks in the unit to keep things going. I smoke my bacon to just below 150 and it works out nicely.

Well 130 is really low but try the wsm out empty with 8 lit,vents @ 25% and se where you land and for how long.

Then work from there....add new lit after 1.5h.

But it could be done the same way in the kettle ofc if it can hold all the bacon.

If its only 1 lbs i would use my kettle.

you'll want to bring the bacon to a minimum of 140*, and it'll take longer that 3 hrs to get there.

When I've tried smoking bacon >200* I usually end up losing the fire and finishing it in the oven.

If your worried about not be able to lay sufficient smoke on the belly, try working with skinned. You end up with 50% more smoke.

Also, if you run a bit hotter you run the risk of rendering a bit of fat, but when you figure how much renders out during cooking its nothing to worry about.

In that case it should really be pretty straightforward in the WSM, but be aware it may very well take more like 4-5 hours than 3.

Back