Baba Ganoush- Smoked Egg Plant Dip

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
1. 4 large egg plants, cut lenghtwise, fleshy side brushed with olive oil, fleshy side down on the cooking grate, smoke for 2 hours. I use hickory or mesquite wood.

When the inside of the egg plant is easily removed with a spoon, so that there are not long tough thread like firbous strands, it's ready. You can finish them off in the oven at 350 until they are nice and tender. Spoon the insides out. You can use the black skin if you want but I use just a little for some color.

2. 1 to 2 heaping tablespoons tahini (ground seseme seed paste - it's like peanut butter but more oily- mix it up well to before using it.)

3. juice of one half a lemon (or more if you want - I just keep tasting to get the right flavor)

4. 1 clove of minced garlic.

5. salt to taste. I use sea salt.

6. touch of black pepper

7. whir in a blender to incorporate. Depends on how you like it, I like to know its egg plant so I whir it a few times so I can still see the seeds and know it's egg plant. I don't like a fine smooth blend. You can do it finer if you like.

8. Place dip in bowl. You can top dip with a sprinkle of olive oil and a dusting of paprika.

9.Cut triangular slices of syrian or pita bread to serve on the side with some lemon wedges.

An excellent idea.

Another (which can be done concurrently) is to have the makings for caponata (sans eggplant) going on the stove (tomato, celery, onion, capers, etc.), then add the mashed eggplant to that.

Sliced mushrooms for dip are a good item for a fading fire too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I probably should have posted it on the appetizer category. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Post your actual recipe there--which would be a good idea.
icon_smile.gif

Mike,

We used to live in a part of brooklyn chock full of Baba Ganoush but now that we live in the suburbs, its hard to find the real thing.
Looking forward to trying your recipe next weekend.

thanks,
jd

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion. When I was in Chicago in the 80's I dated an Iranian woman who was not only beautiful, but a fantastic cook. She made a Persian version of Baba that I forgot the name of or how to make it.
This afternoon we got some egglpants and tahini and plan to make some Baba this weekend via your recipe. A full report to follow. Thanks again

Originally posted by MD Baldwin in another message thread on 6/11/06:

--------

Mike,
All I can say is WOW! The smoke really adds a lot to the Baba. A note, I have never worked w/ Tahini before. What a pain, like a cross between peanut butter and glue. The guy I got it from suggested that I spoon all of it out and into a blender because of serious seperation. Good suggestion. I did add some more garlic and lemon. Thanks so much.

Dr. Of Bar B cue

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD Baldwin:
...The guy I got it from suggested that I spoon all of it out and into a blender because of serious seperation... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We buy natural peanut butter in this house. The oil is floating on the top when I open it the first time. I take it all out and mix it up and put it back in the jar.

I've noticed that after mixing if I keep it in the fridge instead of on the shelf it does not seperate again (up to about 2 months which is as long as the jar of peanut butter lasts). Perhaps that will work for the Tahini paste as well.

I, too, had extra room in the smoker today as I cooked beef ribs, so I threw on a whole eggplant, uncut, and let it smoke for three hours at about 230. Of course, if you're doing meats at the same time, you need to put the eggplant on the top rack to avoid it getting dripped on.

After three hours, I cut the top of the eggplant off, then sliced it in half lengthwise to scoop out the smoky goodness. A key is really scraping the inside of the eggplant close to the skin. That ensures you get the smoky flavor.

A Lebanese cookbook I have recommends a clove of garlic, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of tahini for every eggplant. It also suggests 3 tablespoons of water, which imparts a smoother, more silky consistency. (Depends on whether you like your baba chunky or smooth.) I put everything into the food processor, whirled it for 10 seconds and was treated to deep, dark, delicious baba ganouj with whole wheat pitas.

This baba was the closest I've come to replicating my favorite baba at the Damascus restaurant in Allentown, Pa. (More about the Damascus)

Re the tahini, I just thurst a knife into the jar and stir for about 2-3 minutes. I takes a while, but the oil and sesame paste eventually mix together.

Happy smoking to all!

Michael

Back