Weber - Recipe of the Week - Caribbean BB's w/ Guava Glaze

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
THESE look like they could be pretty tasty.

Rub

1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 racks baby back ribs, each 2 to 2-1/2 pounds

Glaze

1 cup guava jelly or apricot preserves
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ketchup
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 scallions (white and light green parts only), minced
1 tablespoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons seeded and minced habanero chile pepper or 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño chile pepper
1 large garlic clove, grated

Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over low heat (250° to 300°F).

In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients.

Remove the membrane from the back of each rack of ribs. Season the ribs all over with the rub, putting more of it on the meaty sides than the bone sides. Arrange the ribs in a rib rack, all facing the same direction. Allow the ribs to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before grilling. Meanwhile, make the glaze.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the glaze ingredients.

Brush the cooking grates clean. Place the ribs over indirect low heat, as far from the heat as possible, with the bone sides facing toward the heat. Close the lid. After 3 hours, check to see if any rack is ready to come off the grill. They are done when the meat has shrunk back from most of the bones by 1/2 inch or more. When you lift a rack by picking up one end with tongs, the rack should bend in the middle and the meat should tear easily. If the meat does not tear easily, continue cooking for up to 4 hours.

Remove the ribs from the rib rack and transfer to a sheet pan. Lightly brush the ribs on both sides with the glaze. Lay the ribs flat on the cooking grate, with one rack at a time over direct heat. Grill them, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the ribs are a little crispy on the surface, 10 to 15 minutes, brushing them, turning them, and swapping their positions occasionally. Return the ribs to the sheet pan, give them one last coating of glaze, and cover with foil to keep warm for as long as 15 minutes. Cut the racks between the bones and serve right away.

Guava...interesting.

I think some good hot pepper jelly might make an interesting substitute as well. I've used homemade habanero jelly with pork chops before and they turned out excellent.

In case you are looking for something to cook for the 4th, may I recommend these. DH made them back in 2016 and I can't believe we forgot about them (till now lol) It pays to go searching back on the old recipes posted here. I saw so many good things I would like to try. But back to this recipe, as Richard said, "the guava BBQ sauce is delicious."

I just noticed, this recipe was posted 1 day after my Birthday, like it was a belated gift for me. I am a very BIG FAN of GUAVA!!!!!!!

I just noticed, this recipe was posted 1 day after my Birthday, like it was a belated gift for me. I am a very BIG FAN of GUAVA!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting this, Joan. I'm also a very big fan of Guava and will give this a try. In fact, my main hobby is winemaking and two years ago I decided to make an experimental batch of wine from Guava nectar. Turned out far better than I was expecting. And since I'm planning to try your Mango Tango pork chops tonight, I just put a bottle of guava wine in the fridge to have with the chops.

I'm tempted to try a twist on this: Instead of the rub, use Walkerswood Jerk seasoning, which will have some heat (maybe even let the ribs marinate in it overnight). Then make the sauce/glaze without the hot peppers. Get a nice sweet/heat combo going.

Last edited:
Hi Jim, I am so glad to hear from another guava fan. Sad there are so few of us. I would have loved tasting your wine. But......back in the good old days when I used to have my cooking game, I used to ask the players to please make a recipe as written the first time, that is the only way to truly judge a recipe. THEN, make the changes the next time you make it to suite your taste buds.

I am also very happy to hear you will be trying one of my recipes tonight that I posted. I hope that means you are also a MANGO fan? Please let me know what you think of it ok?

Last edited:

Back