I'm ready!!!!

Anthony W.

TVWBB Fan
I have found my tamale steamer 42$ up here in Canada but did not have to pay shipping and I scored a vintage brand new Smokey Joe with wooden handles 10$. I just spent an hour looking for info where to cut. I'm using a jigsaw with a metal blade and was wondering where would be the perfect place to cut, if I understood correctly it would be an inch or so
from where it curves to the bottom. Thanks guys.

Anthony

Anthony,
I'm interested in tamale making also. Next time you make a batch, be sure to post it (with pics) or holler at me (the email in my profile).

We should compare notes.
icon_smile.gif

Anthony, congrats on the sweet SJ score, and also finding the steamer pot! Yes, the most popular way is to cut it about an inch from the curve. Where you go from there is totaly up to you! There are tons of pics to help you through the completion of your mini smoker in this forum. Take a look, find what you like best, and run with it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask away! I have a 7lb butt on mine as we speak! Good luck, and again, don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have!
Mini-Smokin'
Tim

i suggest keeping it simple on yer first few cooks. then you will be able to better chose the mods you actually need or make yer own mods as you see fit. i keep mine very simple and have not seen any need to change anything.

Thanks Tim, George. I did the cut one inch from the curve on the bottom. The lid fits tight on the steamer but there seems to be 1/2 inch play
where the steamer sits in the base of the SJS. Should I make the cut one inch up from the curve on the side, I took a pic but not sure how to get pics up on this site.

Thanks again guys
Anthony

Did some more reading and when I take out the bottom grate the steamer fits really snug into the SJS and I'm guessing the bottom grate fits into the indeneted part of the steamer, everything seems snug that way.

Anthony

Did more reading again, I think I'm in over the 2 hour mark. A charcoal holder seems to needed,
I will buy a second grate for the bottom to not
let the lump fall through but was wondering was is that mesh that I have seen in a few pics and where can it be bought to make the charcoal ring. Could my charcoal baskets be used..I have fire bricks, maybe they can be used?

Thanks

what you see is expanded metal. most metal shops have scraps and will sell it to you cheaply. at least mine does. do be carefull, that stuff is super sharp !

Anthony, just wondering, what are you using as your difuser, and where will it be mounted? As as George stated, Expanded metal is used to make the basket. Try using the 2nd charcoal grate before you go out and make the basket. I have read where those that have made them, no longer use them. I myself didn't like the thought or limmiting the amount of space I could fill with charcoal. Just my $.02.
Good Luck and keep us posted!
Tim
Mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great, I did not want to use one, I like keeping it simple. What do you suggest as a difuser. I have a fire brick, thought maybe a pan of water on the brick but I have no clue. What do you think would be best?

Anthony

i just use the supplied plate with the hole in it as the diffuser. then a trivet and then a catch pan on top of the trivet. works perfectly for me.

I'm ready also.Been lurking for awhile and couldn't stand it anymore.I orderd a tamale pot and sjg.
While I love my Fatboy smoker,it is a little large for the two of us.I'll be back with questions later ..Thanks

Anthony, for my difuser, I first went with the steamer tray(cut down to size) covered in foil, and then I placed a 12" (foiled) tera cotta tray on top of that. After my first time using my mini, I got rid of the terra cotta tray all together. Now all I use is the foiled steamer tray. I didn't like the thought of using up my fuel heating up the terra cotta tray. As far as catching the drippings, I just form a trough out of foil and place it on the foiled steamer tray. (works like a charm.) and it fit my 2 main criteria, Cheap and Simple! Here are some pics..
Plate before trimming..
IMG_1462.jpg

Trimmed plate..
IMG_1463.jpg

Steamer tray foiled and placed in the tomale' pot..
IMG_1466.jpg

I have about a 1/2" gap betweem the difuser and the side of the smoker.
Again, I hope these help.
Tim

Originally posted by John Ford:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glen jones:
I'm ready also.Been lurking for awhile and couldn't stand it anymore.I orderd a tamale pot and sjg.
While I love my Fatboy smoker,it is a little large for the two of us.I'll be back with questions later ..Thanks
I have a WSM & Double-Chef & for my empty nest home I'm using my mini most of all!
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/Lostarrow-photos/d0e020f8.jpg[/img] ]Thin Man , Little Man & Fat Boy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John I love it!!!My Double Chef is in very good shape,but I have been wanting a WSM.Now I can have one at a lot cheaper price.

Thanks Tim, unfortunately I already tossed the tray, the idiot that I am. From reading I see guys seem to be using the terra more than anything else and I guessing size would be 11 inches or so, not sure so please suggest what would be best...

Anthony

I've used both a foiled clay flower pot bottom & a foiled 9 in steel pie pan. It's just a heat diffuser neither work as a heat sink. I just used what I had laying around the house.

Woo woo I found the plate I did not throw it out, so I will cut it as you specified Tim and use it as my difuser. We are only 2 so I don't need more than one grate on top to hold the food.Does the bottom grate go where the pot has its indents or should I buy a smaller diameter one and fit it at the bottom of the pot. If you give me you email I can send some pics, I apologize for all the questions, just want to be sure to get it right.

Thanks
Anthony

Anthony, yes, it seems the most popular place for the bottom grate is resting on the indention of the pot. I went out and purchased a smaller grate to use in the mini. It lasted about 2 hours and then I decided I just didnt like the way the smaller grate slid around,
and I didn"t like the way the 1.5" bolts (used to rest the grate on)looked. Now, both grates fit snug, (the Weber grate will fit perfectly on the indention of the pot) and IMO the .5" bolts (I now use to rest the grates on) look so much better. I don't know how far you are in the construction of your pot, but if you've got a minute, look at page 24 of the SJG mini smoker forum. I posted several pics of the construction of my pot. I cut 1.5" wide flanges in the bottom of my pot, and folded every other flange up to about a 45 degree angle. I rest my difuser on the folded (raised) flanges. My theory behind this is that by folding the flanges up, it raised the difuser up about 1" creating a little more space for charcoal. Shoot me an e-mail, my e mail is listed on my profile. And don't worry about the questions, I hope I am able to,(and more then happy to) help out.
Tim
Mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thinking ahead.....i want to paint my tamale pot black.What is the procedure on painting the aluminum?I don't think I have ever painted any alumium.

Back