Top vents and temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Simpkins

When cooking using the indirect method are the vents suppose to be on the fire side opposite the food or on the food side opposite the fire or does it make any difference?

Steve

You want the vents opposite of food while cooking indirect. This will draw any heat/smoke/flavor across your food through to the other side.

Steve,
Bottom line is that you want to create a convection airflow within the kettle to circulate the airflow over and around the food, this will impart the smoke flavours plus absorb and impart some of the cooked food flavours back into the food. The orientation of the lid vents will depend on the way you set-up the Kettle for indirect. For many indirect cooks I will put the fire 1n one half and the meat on the opposite side with the vents above and slightly to the left or right of the food.

Regards

Steve, when I'm using my kettle for indirect I'm primarily using baskets on either side of the kettle. I alternate my vents directly above my coals splitting time equally between both baskets. Don't ask me why I do this as I've been doing it for years and don't know if there's anything of substance behind it. I guess I too figured it drags the heat and smoke across what I'm cooking.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back