Summit D6 -- is my infrared still broken?

Doug Parizo

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I have a D6 (with the infrared contreol on the far right) and when I got it 1 year ago, the infrared would not stay lit, no matter what. Weber sent a repair person out -- something about a thermocouple -- and now it DOES stay lit.

However, I think it may still be connected wrong. Here's why: The 12 o'clock position is OFF. The 9 o'clock position is full/light, and then moving down from 9 to 7 o'clock turns down the heat.

But, when I adjust from 9 thru 7, nothing seems to happen. It still appears to be blasting at high. The only way I can turn it down is to go from 9'ocluck UP towards 10 and 11, and when I do that sometimes it goes out.

Am I crazy, or is this thing still hooked up wrong?

Thanks!

I have the summit platinum d4 with the same infrared burner. I am going to use the rotisserie burner this weekend, for the first time. I have, however, experimented with it.

I find nothing super accurate with the weber temperature controls. 9 o'clock is wide open but from there you have to play with it a bit.
It will take time and practice to get it right.

It is frustrating but don't you just love your grill? I would like to hear how you feel about the infrared burner, in general. Like I said, I am going to use mine for the first time this weekend. I got an EZ-Cue basket and can't wait to try out the new rotisserie. The wife wants her chickens!

Rick

Originally posted by Doug Parizo:
Hi all,

I have a D6 (with the infrared contreol on the far right) and when I got it 1 year ago, the infrared would not stay lit, no matter what. Weber sent a repair person out -- something about a thermocouple -- and now it DOES stay lit.

However, I think it may still be connected wrong. Here's why: The 12 o'clock position is OFF. The 9 o'clock position is full/light, and then moving down from 9 to 7 o'clock turns down the heat.

But, when I adjust from 9 thru 7, nothing seems to happen. It still appears to be blasting at high. The only way I can turn it down is to go from 9'ocluck UP towards 10 and 11, and when I do that sometimes it goes out.

Am I crazy, or is this thing still hooked up wrong?

Thanks!
Your Nutts Bud.
icon_razz.gif
OK I just went out and lit mine on my Gold D. After 3 years of grease burned off of it, it finally did kind of sort of glow red, with some orange flame. It is a minimal difference when moving the dial from 9 o clock to 6 o clock but I did see a very small difference in the flame/glow of said infared burner. I did this at midnight so it was prob easier for me to see the change. In daylight I really don't think you would be able to see the difference, because it's minimal.
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: FYI, Lid thermo only got to about 200 degrees after 20 min of infared rotiss burner on high.

Although I'm a lump guy and don't have an "Infrared" burner, to me it is right there in the name-"Infrared", or below red, meaning not visible. So to me I would expect not to see much change.

P.S. Stare into the end of your remote while you punch some buttons, what do you see?

Thanks guys for your responses.

Rick: I do LOVE this grill. The surface area is addictive. It's so nice to be able to cook a lot of food and never deal with crowding. I also got a stainless stell brush from the paint section of Home Depot -- inexpensive and nice for cleaning.

Bryan: thanks for going to the trouble to do the experiment. Make me feel like myine is probably normal.

Bill: oh, yeah -- Infrared. That makes sense. Thanks.

Speaking of glowing red, I saw on the Science channel the other night that the color at which a body glows is solely a function of it's temperature, and that it will always glow red first. It doesn't matter whether it's a steel rod, a hunk of wood, or a bean bag rabbit. Cool, eh?

Originally posted by Doug Parizo:
It's so nice to be able to cook a lot of food and never deal with crowding.

Bryan: thanks for going to the trouble to do the experiment. Make me feel like myine is probably normal.
Yep! I love the room on the cooking deck.
icon_cool.gif

No problem Bud, You made me curious as to what it looks like. Then there was the beer in my hand, and nothing really to do, was nice out, temps in the 50's and plenty of beer to drink and plenty of time to kill.
icon_biggrin.gif
But when that alarm went off at 6:00AM to go to work, that Suked
icon_frown.gif

Just a few notes on the infrared burners. They glow red and are visible (although dim) because of their construction. Basically, an ordinary burner is encased within a box with a ceramic plate on one side that has thousands of tiny holes in it. You can see the underlying flames and the orange glow of the ceramic in certain lighting conditions.

The ceramic radiates infrared energy, which does not require the air to carry the heat. Ordinary burners work by convection, the grill grates by conduction, and the infrared burner by radiance. The heat is not carried by the air, which is why the lid temperature is irrelevant when using an infrared burner alone.

Back