Gonna start using my SJP now, To MOD or not to MOD that is the question

Mark D.

So, I have had a Smokey Joe Platinum put together never used sitting in my garage. Why? I never needed it I had a gas grill and all my smoking was done on an ECB, and then I got a Bubba keg which has held me over up to now. I have signed a lease making me unable to take my keg.

So needless to say its finally time to get this thing going. I have read numerous threads about mods people made to this, is anyone here content with the side air holes? Mine seem to be very loose, I was thinking of maybe doing silicone around the holes to get more of a "Air tight" seal any thoughts, I want to avoid drilling anything into it if I can.

Also I am considering this mod putting a ceramic pan in it to make indirect, any thoughts to making this work for the larger grill.
This is the post I’m talking about
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...=692102864#692102864

I occasionally use my SJP for direct and short-time indirect grilling and have never really felt the need to make any mods as it does what I want it to do. However, if it was the only grill I had then I might think differently.

Brad

Most of my cooks will involve either high heat direct for about 5-10 minutes a side in the 350-500 degree rane and some longer smokes, what cn i expect out of it with the vents open am i gonna still find issues sustaingin high temps? I am planning to do a claysaucer difuser just wanna get some consensus before taking a drill to it if I can help it

I've never measured the temp for high-heat direct grilling but lump should do a fairly good job. I can't remember how far open I had the side vents but I could get mine to hold 325-350 long enough for indirect grilling of chicken thighs or a pork steak. Of course, these are smaller pieces of meat that don't require too much time to get to temp.

It's been awhile since I've used it indirect so I should do a refresher course one of these days.

Brad

the mod you speak of is because its being used with the tamale cooker so it can be used as a smoker. for the sjp you don't need to do this for indirect. just pile yer coals on one side near one of the vents and the meat on the other side. put the top vent over the meat. the vent control pieces are a bit loose but you can bend them enough so that they form close enough to the bowl and that will be more than tight enough.

So then 500 degrees for about 15 minutes is doable with the vents wide open? IM gonna have to figure out where to store this thing now too
icon_frown.gif

Ok so I took it down from where it has been stored for a while now, and I noticed it has the "hook" on it like the bigger versions, bowever when I tried to set it on the side like the others it is to big, did they just use the same lid as the 18 kettle?

I know there is a metal arme the holds it to the side, just curious why the hook is there also

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark D.:
Ok so I took it down from where it has been stored for a while now, and I noticed it has the "hook" on it like the bigger versions, bowever when I tried to set it on the side like the others it is to big, did they just use the same lid as the 18 kettle?

I know there is a metal arme the holds it to the side, just curious why the hook is there also </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some pictures might help.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Mark. I believe that is the same lid for the SJP and the 18.5 kettle. My SJP has the same lid hook also.

Tim

sorry Shaun, I am just seeing this.

I decided to try to go without modding it for the time being (im not very handy and my dewalts dont hold a charge anymore

the "Hook" I'm talking about is on the inside of the lid like the large versions as kind of a hanger on the side. I realized that Weber added an "attachment for the leg to put the cover in.

Back