Tasso

Bill Mengel

TVWBB Fan
I didn't find a recipe for this here so here is one. Anyone make this if so whats your recipe?
Basic Tasso
Traditional Tasso is made from pork but that has been cut into strips approximately 2 x 4 x 1 inch thick.
3 parts plain salt
2 parts Brown sugar
2 parts fresh black pepper
1 part cayenne
2 parts paprika
1 part onion powder
1 part garlic powder
1/2 part cinnamon

Coat heavily and refrigerate 2 to 4 days. Smoke at 225 until internal temperature reaches 165.

Two ways, cured and not. Both are good; both have different qualities. Some rubs have sugar, some do not.

Tasso #1 (uncured; sugarless rub)

5 T salt
3 T cayenne
3 T black pepper
3 T ground white pepper
2 T paprika
2 T cinnamon
2 T granulated onion
2 T granulated garlic

Trim the excess fat off the pork; cut into strips about 1" thick and 4" long. Mix the rub and place in a bowl. Rub each strip of pork and place on a rack over a tray, roasting pan, or sheet pan. Cover with plastic and stick in the fridge for 24-48 hours.

Smoke at 200-225 till done.

Tasso # 2 (uncured; sugared rub)

3 T table salt
2 T brown sugar
2 T ground black pepper
2 T paprika
2 T ground white pepper
1 T cayenne
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg

Rub and fridge and smoke as above.

Tasso #3 (cured)

Brine
1 3/4 c curing salt
1 1/2 c sugar
1 T cayenne
2 T onion powder
2 T garlic powder
1 gallon water
1 (10 lb) pork butt, boned

In a medium bowl, combine salt, sugar, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and water. Mix until the salt and sugar are dissolved in the water. Pour brine over pork. Allow pork to soak in brine for one week in the refrigerator.

Remove pork from brine, then discard brine. Rinse and pat dry the pork.

Rub
2 T ground mace
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 T paprika
1 T sage
1 T thyme

Mix together all the dry rub ingredients. Rub the pork. Smoke at 200-225 till internal pork temperature reaches 160.

I have not used this last recipe myself but have had tasso made from it. The original recipe (I'm told) has honey or brown sugar in the rub. Either could be included if you wish. I'd probably skip it myself as the sweetened brine is sufficient for me.

If you're making it uncured you might want to make some with sweetened rub and some without as each has its own preferred uses. I like the unsweetened version in egg dishes and some rice and veg dishes, the sweetened version in some rice dishes, jambalaya, and a few veg dishes. See what you think.

Last edited:
Thanks, the first one looks great,the sugarless one. I'm going to give it a try. The last one looks like alot of work, not real sure I'm kind of lazy, if I'll try that one but thanks forit.
icon_smile.gif

The big deal with tasso (whichever you do) is the time in the fridge (a couple days is good for dry rubbed; 3 days to a week for brined). For tasso you're looking for a 'hammy' finish.

I have used the following recipe (see link) WITH THE EXCEPTION OF NO CINNAMON. I am from La. and cannot abide cinnamon in tasso and have talked wit' aut'entic Cajuns who agree. Anyway, this is a good recipe and makes a fine tasso for gumbos and jambalayas, etc. http://www.randyq.addr.com/tasso/tasso_prep.htm

Back