Warning for lump users......

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
I just bought a SJS to go with my Performer and WSM this past week. Used it for the first time Saturday, and discovered that when you use lump, you have to make sure the small pieces don't fall through the charcoal grate and plug up the bottom vent.

Fortunately, I discovered pretty quickly my fire had gone out.

In the future, I need to either use briquetes on the SJS, or get a second grate and turn it 90 degrees.

yep, lump can be a problem. i just got me a piece of expanded metal to go on top of the original grate. works perfectly. you can do the can trick also. get a metal can 4x2" and next to the bottom side on the side of the can, drill some 1/2-3/4 in holes. now when you put the open end down over the lower vent opening, no more ash issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
yep, lump can be a problem. i just got me a piece of expanded metal to go on top of the original grate. works perfectly. you can do the can trick also. get a metal can 4x2" and next to the bottom side on the side of the can, drill some 1/2-3/4 in holes. now when you put the open end down over the lower vent opening, no more ash issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Works for me too. If it's not clear what George is describing, here is a picture of mine.

DSC_3638-PP.JPG

yer can mod looks just fine. i drilled my holes but thats no big deal. i was refering to putting a piece of exp metal on top of the sj coal grate so that smaller pieces of lump could be used.

I know this doesn't help you here, but the SJG really is a better cooker to live with. I know people complain about the fire but I have never had a problem with it. The extra $20 spent for the SJG is long forgotten after a few times cooking on it.

where exactly in Home Depot can you find expanded metal? I have looked countless times and every time I ask someone they point me to the drywall section for plaster wire mesh. That's not what I want....grrrr
icon_mad.gif

they have a metal section. has all kinds of metal. but its $$$$$$$$$. look for a metal works shop. they always have scraps for cheap. i have a whole bunch of it and i payed $20 for it.

I ripped down my dad's old deck so i could build a new fence yesterday. Whoever lived there before(at least 20 years ago) put a 16" strip of expanded metal along the bottom of the fence before they built the deck. My dad said the people he bought the house from had a small dog. The metal is in great shape and is still shiny, no signs of rust at all. It's two 16" strips that are 8' long each. jackpot.

Back