Au Gratin/Scalloped Potatos

Mark T.

TVWBB Member
Hi all. Does anyone have any good recipis for Au Gratin or Scalloped potatos? I know I have seen some here in the past but can not find them. Thanks for any help.

Mark

Hi Mark

** on edit **
Welcome to the board, I see its your first post, you'll find some fairly useful advice here.

I'll post the recipe that I use here, I believe this is taken from Escoffier's Le Guide Culinaire under the title Gratin Dauphinoise

I may have taken a small departure from his recipe but it goes like this:

Ingredients

750g potatoes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
400ml full-fat crème fraîche/milk/or cream
1 bay leaf
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 small garlic clove, peeled and halved

Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.

Peel the potatoes and slice them wafer-thin. Rinse under cold water, then sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Leave them in a colander for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, put the crème fraîche in a pan large enough to hold all the potatoes. Add the bay leaf, and a little salt, pepper and nutmeg, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the drained potatoes to the pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes.

Dip both halves of the garlic clove in salt and rub all over the inside of a 1-litre capacity, ovenproof gratin dish. Tip the potatoes and crème fraîche into the dish. They should be about 5cm deep. Smooth the top. Bake for about one hour, or until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is gorgeously crusty. Serve hot.

hth
morgan

PS Sometimes I grate parmesan on the top

I make one based on a Cook's Illustrated recipe. It is similar to the above. If I use all-purpose potatoes I do not rinse them; I do if using bakers. Note: For the best results for either of these recipes (or any potato gratin), the potatoes need to be sliced evenly and quite thin. Use a mandoline if you have one; if slicing by hand be steady and deliberate.

1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed

1 Tbls unsalted butter, softened

2 1/4 c half-and-half

1 1/4 tsp table salt

1/8 tsp ground white pepper

1 small bay leaf

1 sprig fresh thyme

pinch fresh ground nutmeg

pinch cayenne pepper (optional)

2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick or less

2 Tbls grated gruyere or asiago

Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350. Rub bottom and sides of 5-6 cup gratin dish or shallow baking dish with garlic. Mince remaining garlic and set aside. Once garlic in dish has dried, about 2 minutes, spread dish with half the butter.

Bring half-and-half, salt, pepper, bay, thyme, nutmeg, cayenne (if desired), potatoes, and reserved garlic to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally (liquid will just barely cover potatoes). Reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove the thyme and bay.

Pour potato mixture into prepared dish; shake dish or use fork to distribute potatoes evenly. Gently press down potatoes until submerged in liquid; dot with remaining butter.

Bake until top is golden brown (basting once or twice during first 45 minutes) about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes and serve. If using the optional cheese, sprinkle on for the last 15 minutes of baking.

Here's another version along the same lines:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potato Gratin With Mustard and Gruyere

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds potatoes -- peeled and sliced 1/8" thick
3/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese -- 6 ounces
2/3 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/8 cup dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 400. Butter a Dutch oven and overlap potatoes in prepared dish in one layer. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with a little dill weed, and then cheese. Repeat layering twice, using potatoes, dill and cheese.

Whisk cream, stock and mustard in bowl. Pour over potatoes and bake until top is crusty and brown, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 331 Calories; 19g Fat (51.1% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 257mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

Back