Rebuild Project - 1993 Weber Genesis(?)

Tom Brichta

I have recently inherited a 1993 Weber grill, which I think is a Genesis, still trying to find that out.
Model 210000
Serial EO161575
Gas LP

...anyway, it is in pretty rough shape and so I have decided to take it apart, clean it up and bring it back to it's original glory
icon_smile.gif

Few questions...

The burners are about ready to fall apart and would like to replace them but I can't figure out how to detach them from the main cooking box.

Second, I would like to paint it (I have purchased the high-heat spray paint) and I want to know what parts are safe to paint. Mainly the lid and the cooking box. The frame bolts are all rusted so it is pretty weak and am going to have a friend weld all the parts and then going to give it a nice coat of paint.

Any suggestions on the burners and paint would be great. Thanks!

PS...here are some pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bri.grillmaster/WeberRebuild?authkey=tVazD7ybbtc

Painted last night and looks pretty good so far. Getting the welding done Thursday morning and then will paint the frame (glossy black, or maybe red if I can find it).

I was going to just keep the wood side tables but now I am thinking of taking them apart and staining /treating the wood. Any suggestions? What kind of wood is it, the owners manual does not say?

Oh, and Weber support got back to me that this is a Genesis 1000.

Click on the link above for the updated pictures
icon_smile.gif

You can purchase all the replacement parts from Weber.

My wood side tables pretty much were rotted around the screw holes. I just called Weber and got new ones. You could also just cut some teak or cedar (or other outdoor friendly wood) to fit. Don't stain, just use oil.

Do the internals still work? The thinng about Weber is thet lid and other stuff is pretty sturdy. Then internals are also sturdy, but after 15 years of use, they may be in need of replacement.

I got new burners, the old ones had huge rust holes in them. I also got a new thermometer, old one didn't work and new casters, the old ones were rusted so bad they didn't roll.

The rest just needed to be cleaned up a bit and a nice new coat of paint. I am getting back the frame tubing from my friend tonight who is welding all the joints because most of the bolts have rusted out and this way it wont all fall apart once I get it back together! I am also going to paint the frame a nice glossy red instead of the basic black
icon_smile.gif

I will have more pictures of the frame painting tonight!

Final product turned out great! I painted the frame red and as my dad would say, looks really slick
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, here are the pictures of the final product of my labor. I am still waiting on the "hub caps" to come to I used some painters tape for now so the wheels don't fall off
icon_smile.gif

Click on the original link to see the updated pictures.

Back