Pork butt meat color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
I may have asked this question before, but here I go again. Some local BBQ restaraunts serve pulled pork sandwiches where the meat is light colored, almost white. It is great tasting bbq. When I cook Boston Butts, the meat is mostly gray in color. I cook it to 190+ internal temp and it usually takes 2 hours/lb.

Why the difference in meat color? What is everyone else's experience?

SC Que

J. Barry...

The pulled pork I cook is usually pretty white..or more correctly a little off-white, not pure white..I think the meat nearer the bone tends to be grayish in color.

Stogie

J. Barry, I'm not a butt expert, I've only done one or two in the last few years. However, I did run across this link that might help you out: http://www.dannysbbq.com/PorkButt.asp

This is the web page for Danny Goulden. He runs a Dairy Queen in New Mexico, but at his DQ he serves real BBQ. He is a respected contributor to the BBQ faq. Anyway, he says that you should let the butt rest for 30 minutes or so before you handle it, or it will turn brown. I'm not sure this is what is happening to you, but I thought I would throw it out there. Also, he says he figures about 70 minutes a pound. You said 2 hours. You might want to think about increasing the temp you are cooking at.

Doug

I cook EVERYTHING at 225(I don't do chicken). I have found through my years of experience this seems to be the perfect temp for everything I cook. If you are using this temp, you will have to add extra time to cook. I did NOT do this initially and ruined meat for a year!! This was before any of these Forums were here to help.

For pulled pork, look for internal meat temps of 190-205. I personally shoot for 205. Also, I usually always let my meat rest for a few minutes after taking off the smoker.

My cooking times for butts have been the same for years....2 hours per pound....rememeber, that is at 225!! Many others will cook at slightly higher temps, that is why the difference in times.

In the end, you will find a method that works for you. Once found, STICK TO IT!!

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back