S-450

Marc

TVWBB All-Star
So I'm looking for a new gasser... I was pretty much set on a EP-320, but then I started thinking that this this could potentially be my last gasser purchase... I find a S-450 for $1337 delivered. Seems like a good price and a great (gas) grill. Any thoughts?

Marc,

I just bought the S-420. Best price I could find on the S-450 was $1499 so that is a really good price. I ultimately went with the 420 because with what we eat, I wouldn't have much of a need for the rotisserie and I use my WSM for smoking. Mine was just delivered on Tuesday and I have been out of town so I have not had the chance to use it as of yet. Firing it up this weekend though. I will say that everyone I have spoken to or read online raves about that line of grills so I think you won't be disappointed.

Bob

Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply. Please let me know what you think once you've had a chance to use it!
While I can't imagine any "real" smoking on it, the smoke burner seems like nice option. The rotisserie and IR burner, I don't know how much use I'll get, but again, at that price???
Of course the choice is now the grill or a tank of heating oil... I'm leaning towards the grill and another sweatshirt!

Yeah, considering I paid $1299 for mine, at your price, I would have bought the 450.

I vote for the grill. At least you'll be eating well while you are cold.

Bob

Just the positioning of the burners makes the Summit a better choice than the Genesis in my opinion.

You also don't lose shelf space to knobs.

I also loved the front to back configuration of the burners. While you can do indirect with the right to left, it's easier this way.

Marc, curious if you made your mind up.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
Still on the edge... Bob, any thoughts? Did you have a chance to break her in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Marc

As I said in a previous post
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bob
Go for the Summit 450, it has the sideburner and the built in smoker box. This will give you greater versatility. The summit has a larger cooking area and I believe it also comes with a rotis as standard fit. (it does in Australia) It also has the rotis infrared burner. You can low and slow better on the Summit as you can just use one burner on low which will give you a lower heat.
The summit has 10 mm SS grill bars compared to 7 mm on the genisis. They will retain more heat.
The price will only hurt for a few weeks, the enjoyment will last a lifetime.
I have a Genesis E320 and love it. (in Australia it retails for $1500.00 the Summit S450 retails for $3500.00 For me the price difference was just too much. "Her Indoors" objected too strongly and too long. However, it is on the list.

The built in Infrared Burner and Rotis on their own are worth the additional dollars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regards

Marc,

I did. I made some great NY Strips last night when some friends came over. I was very impressed by the amount of heat this thing can generate. Ended up with beautiful grill marks and wonderfully cooked steaks. Also made some Italian sausage tonight. Definitely an improvement over my old Genesis.

Did you make your decision yet?

Bob

Back