Fried walleye, dipping sauce, hushpuppy?

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
Our summer long fishing tournament came to an end on labor day. We are having the awards banquet tonight. It will be about 30 of us. I was the organizer and I will also be doing the cooking. I'm making Cole slaw, Barbies beans, German potato salad(a request), tartar sauce, fried walleye and hushpuppies. I've made plenty of fried fish but never walleye. The host and sponsor of the party is supplying the walleye and he loves the Shore Lunch breader. Any tips from my walleye fisherman or cooks? I'll also be making hushpuppies. Probably going to be using the House Autry hushpuppy mix. He ordered 11 lbs. of walleye which I'm sure will be plenty, but I think I will be manning the fryer for a while. I'm also making the tartar sauce are there any another dipping sauces you would suggest?

Walleye is such a wonderful, mild-tasting fish.
For a sauce, you really do not need anything too fancy.

I would try making my own fresh mayo, with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Simple, light, and elegant.

As for taters - I like to get some baby yukons, boil 'em for about an hour (ahead of time). Then slice them and fry with a little onion until they get a little crisped at the edges.

Back