Confit Question

Ron Pierce

TVWBB Member
Would a confit be appropriate for preserving the gelatin collected from a pork butt smoke?

When I have smoked butts and not been able or willing to pull them immediately I have refrigerated them and captured the juices and gelatin that flow from the meat. I've put this in a largish coffee cup and placed it in the refrigerator. It developed a fat plug on the surface around an inch thick.

Is this a confit? I did see a response from K. Kruger indicating that confit was only appropriate for uncooked meat. I'm sure gelatin doesn't fit in that category, but wondering if I could have eaten my pork butt gelatin instead of having discarded it (today). It had been in the refrigerator for 2+ months. (The pork had been dealt with after a day or so, the magic juices didn't get re-integrated with the pulled pork, as had been my intention.)

Thanks so much, all you friendly, knowledgeable Q-folk.

Ron

It's quite possible that you could have eaten the gelatin. Though not technically a confit, the fat layer likely helped preserve the gelatin below. Considering the time in the fridge, it would have probably been best to reheat the gelatin and then use it in sonething, a stock or sauce perhaps, though likely not required. It would depend on how the meat, gelatin and fat were handled after the meat cooked and during the cooling phase.

Back