Adding a Probe to Stoker Log

ken bowman

Is there a way to add a probe, Mid Cook to the Stoker Log Program...without closing and restarting the program...or is just proper planning on the amount of probes you will be using troughout the day..ie., brisket goes on way ahead of chicken, therefor I dont need that extra probe until hours later, for now I just let it dangle until needed...

Yes, you can add them anytime. Simply hit F5 or select "Refresh" from the menu so that it gets the configuration again from stoker.

I can automate this but has not been a high enough use case to spend the time
icon_smile.gif

gotcha...thanks

btw...great program...Ive only had the stoker for about 4-5 cooks, your program rocks...there are a couple "would like to see" things, but have not had enough cooks on it to make a firm opinion yet.

again, thanks for a great program

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Amir, instead adding a probe, I have a problem when I remove a probe during a cook. I don't rename my probes (so they are still probe 3, probe 4 and probe 5 -- all food probes).

If I start a cook with all 3 probes going and then pull the meat out for probe 4, then hit F5, the probe 4 graph line drops the bottom of the graph then it goes back up to now be the graph line for probe 5.

Is there a way to make the same graph line for each probe stay during the entire cook?

Does this make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. It is one of those things that my logic solves the 95% problem with very little code. That last 5%, is much more work. To the extent it is not a common use case, then I take the lazy way out
icon_smile.gif

So if this is a high demand thing to fix beyond adding other features, I will put it on that dusty TODO list
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Amir. Sorry, I don't want to add additional work since you've put so much into this application already. I just thought I was doing something wrong.

But on a different note now that I think of it. I see in some graphs that others have posted that the graph for the fan is always low (ie either 0 or 1 in the gaph)-- mine varies from the "10" down to other levels. Is the fan actually blowing at variable speeds? Or should the graph just be indicating if the fan is off or on?

Thanks.

Good question. Wish we had an FAQ here
icon_smile.gif

When I started to program the stoker, I found out that the fan status reports were incorrect. Instead of saying when the fan was on or off, it would indicate what percentage of time it was on which I show on the scale 0 to 10. I didn't think that was all the useful, compared to knowing whether the fan is on right now (e.g. if the fire is dying/temp lowering).

I contacted the developer and he was kind enough to modify the logic so that we just get a status of one (on) or zero (off). All new stokers now ship with this firmware. But all is not lost for existing users. You can update your software from: http://www.kaytat.com/. Yes, there are warning and such about it not being tested but we all use it without problems.

Thanks Amir!

Updating the firmware has me a little nervous though -- I recall an upgrade that was done just before I got my Stoker and several guys crashed the installation and ended up having to send them back to John at Rocks.

Are there some step-by-step for dummy instructions on doing this firmware upgrade? I'll see what John has on the Rocks site too. Thanks.

edit: okay, there are instructions in the ReadMe file on the Rocks BBQ site. I'll check what version I have on my Stoker tonight and will attempt the upgrade if I have an older version. Luckily I have some time right now when I don't have an important cook coming up so if I mess up the updating, I can send it in.

Success! Wow, that wasn't difficult at all to do the upgrade. The software version is now 2.1.300 on the Stoker.

This will be so much nicer when running Stokerlog so the fan graph doesn't cover up most of the graph area. Thanks again Amir!

I am glad it worked! As you noted, it really is a painless upgrade. The developer has done a nice job here.

Back