Pork belly skin

Bob W

I'm fairly new here and I apoligize if this has already been discussed but,, What can be done with the skin from the pork belly aftr making bacon and removing the skin?

Like I said "I new to this", so any advice would be welcome. Seems like a waste of pork fat!!

Similar to this, I recently got 2 pork picnics (was supposed to be one shoulder and one picnic). The skin was still on so I had the same idea as you: what to do with it.

Cracklin's.

Hmm, didn't want to do it outside (too cold) so I found an indoor method.

Long story short, after the first four "finished" pieces, I tossed the rest. The flavour was great but it was like chewing on a rubber boot.

Obviously not the right method was used in my case but it is a suggestion depending on your situation/locale.

Try this:
Cook the skin for a hour or two.
Hang it up in a cool cellar, and let it dry until it is hard.
You can use a dehydrator if you have one.
Then fry it. It will pop and crackle
icon_smile.gif

Bob,
I'm assuming that your speaking of the skin after it's been cured & smoked. It's a great flavoring agent. I use it in Collard & Mustard Greens, Beans, Soups (pasta fagioli & clam chowder); chopped fine it goes in the corn bread.

What Geir describes is called Chicharrón in Mexico, and it's a great snack with beer. I've got some frozen, and plan to use it when I next make some carnitas. It's also great to put in the pot if you're making baked beans.

Thanks guys, that gives me some ideas. It just seems to be a waste of good pork not to use it for something. Thanks again, this is a great forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I usually keep the skin on post-curing pre-frying...is that wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No. Not "wrong" at all. Lots of people enjoy leaving the skin on post-frying. Some object to the texture, etc... All up to you.

Yep, skin on/off is a question of taste. Also, there are soups you ca nmake, e.g., pea soup where NICE HUNK OF BACON SKIN WILL HeLP A LOT. [sorry for caps lock]

I've been trimming it off when making bacon, with the thought that the smoke - and more importantly, the cure - can't get through the skin as easily.

Back