Emeril's Texas-Style Smoked Brisket (modified)

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Jeff Bittel in another recipe thread; reposted here as a new recipe.

-------------
Emeril's Texas-Style Smoked Brisket (with my minor modifications)

1 (10 – 12 pound) beef brisket, lightly trimmed
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Mesquite or Apple wood chips
Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows

Set the brisket on a large sheet of plastic wrap. In a medium bowl combine the dark brown sugar, chili power, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne, dry mustard, and cumin thoroughly. Rub the mixture onto the brisket (Don’t over do the rub), and wrap tightly in the plastic wrap. Place on a baking sheet and let marinate refrigerated at least 6 hours or overnight. Remove the meat from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.

Remove the meat from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.

Prepare a smoker with charcoal Using the MM and a half chimney to light the bottom coals and wood chunks according to 220 to 235 degrees F. Assemble the WSM and place the water pan in the smoker adding cold water to the top. Place the unwrapped brisket on the upper rack fat side up off the direct heat, close the lid, and cook an instant-read thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. At this point remove from grill and foil adding 1 cup of apple juice to foil. Return to grill and cook to 180 degrees. Check if meat is done by stabbing it with a serving fork. If the meat slides off, it’s done, if not continue to cook to a higher temperature. Remove the meat from the grill and let rest for 20 - 30 minutes before carving the meat against the grain. Total cook time will be about 8 – 10 hours.

Serve with Barbecue Sauce on the side for dipping.

Barbecue Sauce:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped yellow onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons cane syrup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, cane syrup, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, Essence, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the flavors marry, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly before serving.
Yield: about 4 cups

Go here to read Emeril' original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20155,00.html

Chris,

Thanks for reposting.

Jim asked if this was the one Emeril cooked in the oven? No it was the one he cooked in a smoker box on top of the stove that caused so much smoke that I thought the show was going to end early.

Even if you don't like the brisket instructions, try the BBQ sauce. It's really good! He called it a Texas Dipping Sauce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morgan Sziraki:
Interestingly, Emeril suggests cooking to 140-145*F ???? Good thing <STRIKE>Chris</STRIKE> Jeff modified the recipe! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It must have been a different show I watched. He buried a brisket under catsup and other condiments and cooked it in the oven. It made my skin crawl.

Jim

The reason I bought my WSM was that iwas on a quest to finally cook a brisket that was worthy of eating. I tried many times in the past and always felt cheated at the dinner table. I call cooking a brisket the "Holy Grail" of BBQing.

I saw Emeril's show shortly after I bought my WSM and cooked it exactly to his instructions. It was another disaster due to the internal meat temperature he suggested. After much reading on this forum I realized Emeril made a typo on the temperature.

I liked everything else on his directions with the exception of the meat size, so I tried it again with the mods I listed. My wife, who seldom likes beef, was very impressed with the new results. Myself I still think I have room for improvement. I want to mess around with the foiling part by reducing the time in the foil to a bare minimum, or maybe none at all.

Back