Pork loin roast

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We have 2 pork loin roast in the freezer that are just waiting to meet my WSM and I was wondering the best way to cook them. They are what's left over from the loins after the pork chops have been cut out and weigh around 3 - 5 lbs. I know this is probably a lean cut but was wondering if there is a good way to do them on the WSM.Thanks.

Hey Rodney...

Here is how to do a loin..VERY CAREFULLY!! LOL. Try the recipe below, even my kids will eat this one! I only grill these so ignore the cooking directions. Just smoke at whatever temp you want until the temps are reached.

Stogie

Apple Glazed Pork Loin

3 pounds Boneless Pork Loin
Cajun seasoning
GLAZE
1/2 cup Brown sugar, light
1/4 cup Honey
1 cup Brandy
4 cups Apple juice or cider
1 cup Cider vinegar
1/4 cup Butter, melted
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Allspice
1/4 teaspoon Mace
1/4 teaspoon Cardamon, ground
2 tablespoons Cornstarch
2 tablespoons Water

Directions:
Season pork with Cajun seasoning.
Combine the GLAZE ingredients, except the cornstarch and water, in a sauce pan and bring to simmer and cook for 1 minute.
Whisk together the cornstarch and water. Add to the hot glaze mix and continue cooking for another minute.
Let this cool COMPLETELY.
Place the pork in a large Zip-loc bag and add marinade and let sit overnight.
Remove pork, reserving the marinade, and allow to come to room temp.
Pre-heat your grill to 450 degrees.
Place the pork on the grill and sear for 5 minutes. Turn over and sear for another 5 minutes.
Turn the heat down to 400 and cook for another 30-40 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 145-155 degrees, basting every 15 minutes using the reserved marinade.
Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
You can use any remaining marinade to serve with the meat. If you do this, boil the marinade first!

Stogie thanks for the reply. Do you think it will be worth my while to raise the lid every 15 mins. to baste or will I loose so much heat that it's not worth it. How long do you think it will take cooking at 300 - 325 deg or however hot I can get the WSM so I'll know when to start cooking. Will I get much smoke flavor cooking it faster at these higher temps. Does it matter that I don't have any brandy and should I substitute something else for the brandy. Thanks for the help.

Rodney,

What's with all these people who don't have brandy?? LOL You can leave out the brandy or substitute some other brown whiskey.

Any higher temp will not hurt this cut of meat, matter of fact I would think it can only help to avoid drying it out. You wil still get plenty of smoke.

I would not baste as often...you are correct in that you will lose lots of heat.

As to time......I would think between 1 1/2 -2 1/2 hours at 300?.

A bit of advice on times.........

ALWAYS give your self an extra hour or two...it is much easier to keep these things warm(I assume you know how to do that) than it is to hurry up the finishing!!

In competition, we shoot for having our meats done 1 hour prior to turn-in. I have kept a brisket hot, not just warm, for 4 hours!

Stogie

Hey,
be sure to use some cherrywood on those bad boys...that will do the trick.

------------------
Regards,
--
Steven A. Davidson, President
Ma's Smokin Chips, Inc.
PO Box 433
Palouse, WA 99161
Phone 509.878.1475 9am-5pm PST Monday-Friday
Fax 810.314.2439 24/7
http://www.smokinchips.com
Certified allexpert at <A HREF="http://allexperts.com
Subscribe" TARGET=_blank>http://allexperts.com
Subscribe</A> to our newsletter for deals, updates and recipes at
newsletter@smokinchips.com Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Stogie, thanks for the advice and recipe. I cooked the pork roast today and it was great. I cooked it at 300 deg for 2 1/2 hrs. to an internal temp of 147 then wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler till supper time ( 1 1/2 hrs ) when I opened the foil steam came out it was still so hot. I mopped it every 1/2 hr. and it came out very moist. The best advice you gave me and the one that my wife loved the most was the one about cooking early and then keeping it hot, before it's been a guess when the meat will be done so she has to try to keep everything else warm or it's not done when the meats done. Tonight when everything else was ready I just opened the cooler and sliced the meat. Will this work with grilling steaks and pork chops as well ? Thanks again.

Rodney..

So glad things worked out!! Always happy with a success out in the field!

As to steaks and chops.......it may work, but probably for a much shorter period of time. The reason I say that is because the mass of the meat is much smaller, therefore not able to retain as much.

Give it a try and see what happens....it does work great for ribs and every other type of smoked meat.

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back