grilling italian sausage

i picked up a dozen italian sausage pack from costco today to cook on my permormer tomorrow.

i just noticed that the casing is very, very fragile. i am wondering if i put them on the grill they will just fall apart and into the crate. the casing just seems very delicate and the sausage is way soft.

did i buy the wrong type of italian sausage? i would rather grill them than sautee because of the charcoal flavor.

I always do my sausage indirect the whole time.

If you put them next to the fire, but not directly over it, they will get a nice golden brown as they cook through.

Turn as neccessary to get all side a nice even color.

If you do it this way, the casings wont burst.

You might also think about a drip pan. It will make cleanup easier and make sure the grease doesn't somehow hit something hot and flare up. (which isn't such a big deal if the sausage is off to the side, but still)

Direct at first to grill-mark then indirect to finish them off... Brady, I hope you took photos
icon_smile.gif
we love photos

I would definitely recommend doing them indirect, and relatively slowly.

Every year, there is a place that cooks 'em at the WI State Fair - they have vertical racks of charcoal, alternating with vertical racks of sausage. The sausage stays nice and close to the fire & gets smoke / browned on both sides at once. The casings get nice & crispy, but it keeps the fat from dripping into the fire & causing flare-ups. This would normally be a bit hard to do at home (maybe a rotiss basket would be close) - but keeping them near the edge of the fire should be reasonably close.

Then serve with a little marinara & sauteed onions & red/green peppers - YUM!

..in fact, that's what's for dinner tonight... Italians and Hungarians... and I do 'em the same way everytime and everytime they turn out great!
Ron, ever cook in a snow storm?

I like to cook brats indirect the whole time, or over a small fire (coals) if I'm camping or can't do them on the wsm.

They'll usually take 45-50 minutes, & I know they're done for certain once the casing bursts & the liquid runs out - once this happens they look like fat fingers that spent too much time in the tub. They're a little over done @ this point.

My favorite way to do brats is on the top shelf of the WSM with a dry water pan.

Some people like to build tin foil boats & float the brats in beer, but not me.

As for condiments, try just kraut, mustard (whatever kind), & hot sauce, don't fancy it all up.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Ron, ever cook in a snow storm?

Heck yeah!

I try not to do it if I can avoid it - but if I've got all my fixins and have a big meal planned, or if I'm just sick of not having grilled / smoked food, then I don't let it bother me.

At least my beer / wine stays cold!
icon_smile.gif

well, my plan was to grill my Italians and Hungarians last night, but after I cleared all the snow from my drive and boardwalks, (had the grill cleaned and all set to go) I went in to change,... poured a 'tini and looked out the patio doors at the snow still comin' down, I decided to stay in and simmer them on the new stove top.
icon_biggrin.gif

woke this morning to another half foot & drifts 2-3 feet high....
icon_mad.gif

Jim - I feel your pain......

All this shoveling & snow-blowing is helping me work-up an appetite!

Maybe this weekend, it's time to thaw-out one of the 14-lb turkeys I've got in the freezer, brine it, & smoke it. Then make some stock with the carcass

Back