Carnitas

Ethan G

TVWBB Super Fan
I saw this recipe done on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It seemed so simple that I had to try it, and it was outstanding!

Pork shoulder - I used about 2.5 lbs cut into fist-sized pieces
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 can cola (used dr. pepper because it is what we had)
1 cinnamon stick (used two like on tv, I'd suggest only using one)
1 head garlic with base cut off
A bunch of salt

Put the pork in a big heavy pot (enameled dutch oven worked well) and dump in milk, coke and enough water to bring it up to about 2/3 the level of the pork. Add the salt, garlic and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover for an hour. After an hour, turn the heat up to medium and leave uncovered for a second hour. I checked every 20 minutes or so just to make sure the pork chunks weren't sticking to the pot. During the second hour the liquid will reduce significantly and the outside of the meat will get nice and firm. I removed the meat to a cutting board, and using a fork and tongs broke it into smaller chunks. Then I put those chunks into a hot iron skillet for a couple of minutes to crisp the outside, and served them from the skillet just like fajitas.

These were the best carnitas I've ever had at home. Way better than making them in the crock pot. Next time I'll use a whole pork butt, because the carnitas were great reheated the next day and would probably freeze very well.

I have been using this recipe for the last two years sense I saw it on triple D. It is awesome. It does freeze real well. My sister in law who lives in Phoenix has been to that place and says mine is way better then theirs so I must have done something right.

Made this recipe this week.
Added some dry chiptloe chili flakes.
Carnitas came out great.
Key was crisping them at the end in the cast iron skillet.
Served with avocado, cilantro and mango salsa.
Thanks for a great recipe.
Randy

so glad to see this post. i've been talking about doing this same cook for over a year (since i saw it on triple D) - it just looked and sounded good.

this is on the menu for the weekend....

I'm cooking this recipe within the next couple of days.... Went to buy cinammon sticks.. Had sticker shock at the local Krogers chain. The grocery store was $7.99 for like 5 sticks.

How does Penzeys compare on cinammon?

Originally posted by Andy Wasserman:
I'm cooking this recipe within the next couple of days.... Went to buy cinammon sticks.. Had sticker shock at the local Krogers chain. The grocery store was $7.99 for like 5 sticks.

How does Penzeys compare on cinammon?

Even though they used two sticks on the show, I thought two was a little bit much. You'll be fine with one, stretch your $7.99 a little bit further
icon_wink.gif

We tried this yesterday, and I wasn't sold on it. First off, I am not a carnitas expert, so I am not sure if it turned out correct. I would like to see some photos from others at different stages to verify.

The crust after frying was really sweet, too sweet in my opinion. The meat didn't have enough meat and spice flavor.

Chad

Back