1965 Red Weber Kettle "Ranger"...you gotta see this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick C.

TVWBB Member
Below is a pic of a Weber "Ranger" as far as I can tell...through some research and looking at the Weber timeline .pdf file I believe it was produced around 1965....A friend of mine bought it for $1.00 at a flea market and gave it to me as a gift. What do you guys think the value of something like this is. This thing is mint and was only used once before I got it....I have used it maybe half a dozen times. Let me know what you guys think about it....I am very interested to get some background info on it! I need to decide whether I want to keep it or sell it (give it a home where it will be appreciated) and get something new.....On a side note I just did a 10 lb picnic shoulder on it....14 hour cook...it was f'ing awesome!

Thanks,
Rick

2804051019_57f26e182b.jpg

Hi Rick,

You might want to consider contacting Weber to see what they might offer you for that. I know of a mint Red 26 3/4 kettle that was initially offered on Craigslist. Once the owner was aware of what he had, he contacted Weber to get further information on it. They wound up trading him a Summit series gas barbecue for it - I guess they wanted it for the museum or something. Just a thought.... I actually have a late 60's catalog with your grill in it...

All I can say is WOW!!! Grills are made for cooking, but seriously...I would not cook on this one. Its worth what someone will pay for it...someone will pay a nice chunk of change for that.

Wow that looks like a brand new grill. I agree with Allen that you should contact Weber to see if they are interested in buying it from you.

Congratulations!

Originally posted by Allen Sharar:
Hi Rick,

You might want to consider contacting Weber to see what they might offer you for that. I know of a mint Red 26 3/4 kettle that was initially offered on Craigslist. Once the owner was aware of what he had, he contacted Weber to get further information on it. They wound up trading him a Summit series gas barbecue for it - I guess they wanted it for the museum or something. Just a thought.... I actually have a late 60's catalog with your grill in it...

I was going to post this very answer, looks like a museum piece for sure.

naw, they are all lying. its common and junk. i'll buy it for 10.00 bucks.
icon_smile.gif
actually made my heart stop. on oxygen tight now. wow
icon_eek.gif

Wow, thanks for the response.....especially me being a noob here and all. I have not contacted weber yet....but i will as soon as i blast this email off. I will be sure to let you all know how it works out. The only thing I am upset about was that I threw the cooking grate out when I first got it....but the charcoal grate is original! Everything except the cooking grate is original....yes, even those fancy hand grips!
Thanks again for the advice and I will let you all know how I make out.

Rick

Its not the end of the world you threw the grate out, but 100% original would of been nice....should not affect the value. Looking forward to what weber says.

I'm the nincompoop that asked the seller of that mint 26" red weber mentioned by Mr. Sharar if he could wait a day before coming out and picking up. By then it was too late. My head still hurts from pounding my head against the wall.

Well, I spoke to the VP of marketing at weber, he called me today (I sent the email friday night!) and and offered a performer, cover, and utensils for this vintage "ranger" model. I figure a $380 offer.....I asked for a WSM and a performer but he said he couldn't do it......I was kinda bummed...He did say that he has never seen one of these before though and can't imagine very many being made....so my question to you all....should I take the offer and not look a gift horse in the mouth or do you think it is worth more?

Apparently there is no museum at weber...executives buy the vintage models and place them in front of their office. Anyhow, does anybody have any advice? I am located in CT if anybody wants to make me an offer on it!

Regards,
Rick

Me? I wouldn't do it. That vintage grill would be worth a lot more to me than that, but that's just me.. But I gotta ask, what does your friend with the $1 investment think now?
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

That's a tough one Rick. The Performer is certainly a great grill, and it would be hard for me to turn him down. On the other hand you have a piece of Weber history in your garage,and if you advertise it on E-Bay you probably would get more for it.

I think that I would tell him I want a new 22.5 WSM and other goodies. If he is that interested in it he will take care of you. Let us know what you decide.

I would not do it. You can find very slightly used performers for $200. The RED ranger will not go down in value...only up. The Weber guy knows how rare these are. I would stick w/ your original request of the WSM and performer, If he says no..oh well, tell him thanks for your time but I am going to hold out. Think about it...even the Weber guy cant imagine very many being made, yet alone still around, yet in practically mint condition. You prob have the best one in the world...literally. A Performer cost prob $100 tops to make...and he is offering you that? What a joke...hold off dude.

I'd buy a used kettle, make sure this ranger was rust free, then shrink wrap it
icon_smile.gif
That thing is way too cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back