About BBQ style, flair, and "signature"

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Art R on 6/27/05 at 8:19AM PT

------------
I cut out a picture of your book and posted it on the ice box. Hoping my wife will get the message!

As for my question, it seems to me that BBQ cooking is a combination of good ingredients, good equipment, good procedures/consitency and a fair measure of good luck.

However, often what separates good from GREAT is something more: style, flair, a "signature".

How important is style and how does one discover their own style and cultivate it into their own "signature"?

Thanks. Looking forward to reading the book.

AR

Live, Love and Eat Good BBQ!

Hi Art,
I'll agree that cooking BBQ is a combination of good ingredients, good equipment, good procedures/consitency, but I'm not so sure about the luck part. With enough experience you should be able to know what to adjust to make everthing you cook come out well.

I think we all arrive at our own signature just naturally as it comes. It's my goal to cook perfect traditional barbecue, but my personal preferences and tendencies make it my own without trying. I don't think anyone should ever add something just to make it their own. I've seen many new cooks start cooking KCBS, and they all have great new ideas. But in the end the conform to traditional BBQ flavors, or they never do consistantly well.

Thanks. AS a follow up, do you feel there is a Chicago BBQ style? I've seen some books that indicate it follows the Memphis traditions. What are your thoughts...and can you recommend a BBQ restaurant in the Chicago area.

AR

I don't think there is a Chicago BBQ style. 20 years ago there was very little BBQ anywhere in Chicago. There are a few old South side joints, and they may have a Memphis influence, but it's not prominant.

Back