Sweet Potato Pancakes - Side to Tri Tip

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Kevin this is in reference to your side recipe post:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?m=6330067434&a=tpc&f=5290021414

want to try some of these with the Tri Tip today. Tri Tip will have a couple hours in a marinade of Tequilla, Sesame Oil, Dijon, Balsamic, Garlic, S&P.

Looking around for some interesting sides and came across your recipe for these pancakes.

Looking at your ingredients for beef, wondering what your recommended amounts are. I'd probably leave the horseradish out for this one though.

The braised cabbage is a nice touch. Think that would go or should I change to something else underneath?

Also interested in the complimentary sauce. Figured I'd play around a bit since the Tri itself won't take much time.

Though I love horseradish with beef, I'd agree it would probably not be the best choice here as it doesn't work well with tequila. Consider fresh garlic, granulated onion and pepper. Perhaps a little ginger. (For the garlic, use a clove or two. Peel them then simmer them in water for about 10 min. This will remove the sharpness and soften the flavor, warranted here, imo. Drain, mash well, mix into the grated potato.)

I'd like cabbage here--braised simply in a little stock and butter with plenty of pepper added at the finish. Keep a touch of crispness in the cabbage for texture. Slice the cabbage crosswise somewhat thinly and you're looking at just a few minutes. It can go on while the tri rests.

I'm seeing orange here and a sauce based somewhat on your marinade ingredients. Here's what I'm thinking:

Sweat a finely chopped small onion in a combo of plain (not toasted) sesame oil and butter till the onion is soft. Add 2 peeled cloves of garlic, minced or pressed, and a little ginger (fresh or powdered--just a little), and increas the heat to med-high. Cook, stirring, just till the garlic is very fragrant, about 45-60 secs.

Add a 1/2 shot of tequila to the pan and flame it. Reduce it to nothing. Add 1/4 c balsamic to the pan and a light sprinkling of white sugar--about 1/4 t. Reduce the vinegar to roughly 1 T.

Add about 1/4 c fresh o.j. to the pan, bring to a simmer, then whisk in a little 1 T of Dijon, whisking very well. Add beef stock, maybe 1/2 c (if homemade is unavailable use a 50-50 blend of canned beef and canned low-salt chicken).

Bring to a brief simmer, add some pepper (if you have black, white and green use a little of all three). Remove from the heat, cool, and reserve till the tri is about to come off the grill.

Return the sauce to a saute pan and heat over med-low heat. Reduce slightly if necessary then maintain over low heat. After the tri has rested 5 min, add some of the juices from the tri to the sauce. Stir the sauce then mount with a little whole butter; keep warm off heat.

Plate the cabbage, offset a couple pancakes on the cabbage, slice the tri and spill off the tops of the pancakes and onto the cabbage. Drizzle with a little sauce, top with a little freshly minced cilantro, if desired; serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

How's that sound?

Thanks Kevin, it all sounds fantastic. But unfortunately I've changed up before your reply in that I switched the rub. Here's why. I forgot this until I pulled it out of the fridge after this post.

TJ's had no plain TT's only "Santa Maria", in that they have a marinade applied.

Unpacked it rinsed it all off and dried. There was not a strong smell or taste but definite garlic salt and pepper. I changed the rub to this based on how it smelled from their treatment:

Cumin, Minced Garlic and Shallot, ground coriander, pasilla, paprika, cayenne, S&P.

All rubbed down and in a zip lock now.

So I'll look over your rec's and see if I can adjust them. Still want to go with the overall same presentation, but this may change ingredients a bit on the sides.

Cabbage I think can stay the same, actually I think the pancakes as well. The sauce though, not sure if the orange is a match at this point since the sesame and tequilla is gone

Orange would work (good with cumin, coriander and the chilies). I'd likely cut the orange to 1.5 T and add .5 T Worcestershire along with the o.j. Prior, I'd skip the tequila go with white balsamic if you have any, the red is fine if not.

And, thinking backwards, consider reconstituting a pasilla in simmering water till soft then removing the seeds and skin. Chop well then mash well. Add some or all of the mash to the onions when they are soft and you raise the heat to get the pan ready for the garlic. Saute the pepper mash about 1-2 min before adding the garlic.

When you remove the sauce from the heat to reserve it for later, puree the sauce with a handblender, a regular blender, or force through a sieve.

When you reheat the sauce to finish, consider an addition of a little oregano, may be .25-.5 t plus a pinch or two of cumin; neither will overwhelm if added late in the game. Adjust sweetness, if needed, just before mounting with butter.

Figured it would I think tamarind would be better but have none of that at hand either. I will try to take some pics this time. But I struggle with that. I'm pretty intense when I get started and pausing to do a photo breaks the high for me. But I'll try. Thanks again Kevin.

Back