Smoking a whole bird, and addt breast....

ChrisB

Long time lurker here...finally need some help!

I've done a whole bird before, but remember very little. It was done just before my 2nd son came home from the hospital, so we could eat for a while
icon_smile.gif

I'm doing a 13.2 pound bird, brined, and a 2.6 boneless, skinless breast. Im slightly worried about cooking times, and different temps for the 2. Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome Chris,

Here's how I would cook these:

1) I'd fire up my WSM pouring a full chimney of lit coals over a half charcoal ring of unlit coals. Add smoke wood at this time if you want.
2) Place the whole bird on the lower grate.
3) Place solo breast on the top grate.
4) Put probe from thermometer into solo breast.
5) Cover and adjust bottom vents to maintain a cooking temp in the range of 350-400.
6) When the thermo reads 155, take the breast off, foil it and wrap in a towel to keep it warm.
7) Transfer probe to your whole turkey and cook until it reaches 155 in breast/ 175 in leg/thigh.
8) Let whole bird rest about 15 mins tented with foil.

Resting meat will continue to cook a little especially if it is wrapped or tented. The temps of the meat will continue to climb and the meat will be safe to eat. I add this as some might be concerned reading the 155 and 175 temps when companies such as Butterball advertise 160 and 180. What my aim is to cook poultry to a safe temperature and not dry it out. Over-cooking dries out meat. If in doubt, just take another temp reading.

Paul

Good stuff Paul, thanks. I think Im leaning towards some variation of this...granted that decision was before reading.

Was thinking about doing the breast solo for a bit on a low temp, then cranking it up to finish while adding the whole bird. Pulling the breast off, and wrapping it in foil, towels and a cooler while the bird finishes.

I was just fixing to ask the same question. Difference is that I'm doing a whole turkey breast in addition to the turkey.

The Turkey itself is what we're serving to guests for Thanksgiving and I'm throwing the breast (7 lb) on for my sister which she will get on Friday.

I was thinking of putting the breast on the lower rack as I want the whole turkey to be done first, and I figured I would monitor the temp on that one, pull it off when ready and allow the breast to smoke a little longer if needed?

Would love to hear thoughts or suggestions...

Thanks!

Jody

Back