Newer WSM's and High Temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
It's generally acknowledged that a newer, unseasoned, WSM is going to run a smidge hotter than one that has, say, 25 sessions in the log book. To wit, there was/is a recent post to the list stating the smoker is typically running in the 250 to 270 range. That works out to, what, 265 to 290-300 at the grill surface?

Anyway... I've got a big cook scheduled for May 5 - four racks of ribs and a pork butt (taking the ribs off earlier and using them as an appitizer of sorts...) - and I want to keep the temp down in the 225 to 235 range for as long as possible. Knowing the my newer WSM is going to run hotter, are there tips and techniques that could help keep the temps down? For instance, rather than putting a gallon of hot water in the pan, how about using cool water? It's going to be a long cook - probably in the 8 to 10 hour range - so I plan on using the Minion Method to keep things cooking smoothly.

Experts, feel free to chime in here at any time. And thanks to one and all.

Alan Bosch

Hi Alan,

If you've cooked 2-3 times in the WSM and the shiny inside surface is covered with smoke, grease, etc. you won't have the issue of the unit running hotter than normal.

Regarding the last part of your first paragraph, if someone is measuring 250-270 at the lid, the temp at the grates will be lower than that. Top grate seems to run 10-15*F lower than the lid temp.

For your Cinco de Mayo cook, I would just follow the normal Minion Method instructions. Keep the temp low from the start and everything should be fine.

Regards,
Chris

DOH! (Rustle, rustle, rustle... notes shuffling about...) I'm changing my notes right now! (Grumble, grumble)...Shoulda known... Thanks for setting me right!

Alan Bosch

Alan
Use cold water if high temps are a problem, also if temps are getting higher than you want you can add cold water during the cook to lower temps a bit.
The charcoal you are using also figures into the temps you are getting, Lump being the hotest, kingsford warmer than a lot of other brands of charcoal briquets.
Start out with fewer burning briquets at fireup will also help keep temps down.
The bottom grate is the coolest, keep that in mind also.
Jim

Burping the smoker once in a while helps with lowering the temp. Someone suggested that to me, I tried it and it works. Burping means to put the hood askew for a while like you would with a pot cover when you boil potatoes. With a few burps here and there and cold water I've managed not to over heat too much. My next smoke, I'll use less coals in the chamber also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back