Tri-Tip

Greg Bergman

TVWBB Member
...just happened by several packages of Tri-Tip @ my local WalMart and couldn't wait to find a time to grill one up and see what all this Tri-Tip love is all about.

Seasoned with Olive Oil and Montreal Steak.
IMG_1064s.jpg

Setup indirect fire with several apple wood chunks using charcoal baskets and aluminum pan baffle.
IMG_1066s.jpg

Cooked indirect @ 230-260 for nearly 2 hours until consistent internal temps of 140.
IMG_1068s.jpg

refilled baskets with leftover charcoal and let fire get very hot. Finished Trip-Tip with suitable char.
IMG_1075s.jpg

Wow, this stuff is awesome, you can bet I'll be grabbing these things now whenever I see them, very, very good eats.
IMG_1086s.jpg

Being on the east coast and having never actually seen or tasted a tri-tip, what's the consistency like and what's the cost/lb.?

Thanks for the kind words. I paid $6 per lb, no waste at all as they were trimmed very well as packaged. I would say it had the flavor of a very tender sirloin and the slices had a brisket like consistency.

I just scored a 2.9 pounder on Saturday at a local grocery store that occasionally has them. This is the largest one they have had, and it looks very nice. This one was $6.19/lb. So, he's on the menu for tomorrow night.

As for texture, I would say similar to sirloin, but a more "beefy" flavor. It's our favorite roast-type cut of beef. Really tasty stuff.

Back