Q220 to the Rescue

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I had a standing rib roast in the freezer that needed to be cooked, so I took it out and let it thaw (so I thought), trimmed a little meat off of both sides and the top since it had been in the freezer in its original wrapper for a while, seasoned it up and got ready to cook.

I decided to cook the roast on low heat on my GOSM using pecan pellets for smoke. I put the roast on, got the temp settled at 250 and went about my business. When I checked the roast after 2 hours, I expected the center to be around 100 degrees, but NOOOOO! The center was about 50 degrees! The center of the roast had still been frozen when I put it on the grill.

I wanted to eat before midnight, so I rolled out my Q220, hooked up a propane take, fired it up and while the Q220 came up to temp, I rested the roast and when the Q hit 400 or so, I sliced the roast into slices about an inch thick, hit them with some Wow up Your Cow from The Slabs, and they hit the cast iron grates for 3 minutes a side.

The steaks were great - with a hit of smoke flavor and great seasoning from the grates and the rub.

Here are a couple of pictures......

Nice save Pat!

These little redheads aren't here just for their good looks!
I cooked some locally made franks on mine the other night, very nice, but pale to your rib roast slabs!

Back