Chicken burgers

I descided to make chicken burgers and ground my own chicken for the recipe. I found that the chicken breasts had a lot more moisture then the ground chicken you would buy in the store. What would I use to tighten the chicken up so it would hold together better? Could I add bread crumbs to tighten it up?

Bones

You could but that would be more chicken-loaf-y. Add a little chicken thigh. Grind well (both cuts, breast and thigh) then mix well. The operative issue here is mixing well. Chill well before forming. The proteins in the mix will become sticky over a little time and will hold your burgers together. This happens much better if you allow some time o pass (chilled) before forming.

Chill well before forming. The proteins in the mix will become sticky over a little time and will hold your burgers together
Steven,

Kevin suggests you chill before forming. I would also suggest you chill after forming for at least 30 minutes. I do this with turkey burgers and it helps tremendously.
Ray

Agreed.

I do this with turkey burgers as well. The mixing and chilling allows the proteins to bind better.

I now chill after forming for all burgers I make. I usually use ground bison or elk for burgers, and the post-form chilling seems to help tremendously.

Mike

Also if you're pressed for time and can't let them chill adequately; try adding a little egg white to the ground meat. This will help bind the meat.

Back