Use a turkey roasting rack for a rib rack

What a great idea, and it's just the right size where you don't have to cut the ribs in half.

Thanks for the great tip Rusty

I just ordered one of these the other day, so I'm glad to hear it works. I went this route rather than buy a rib rack for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't have a roast rack and prefer to have multiple-use items. 2)The spacing between the bars appears to be about 2" which looks bigger than most rib racks. I had a rib rack several years ago for my kettle, and I tossed it after a couple uses because the ribs would get stuck to the wires.

Anyways, here is the one I ordered:
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=103249

I can relate...

012.jpg

I use one of these as well (stainless one) i can't remember where I got it. Might have been BBD Galore..

I cut about 3 inches or so out of the bottom stand. This allows me to slide it into the top grate at a angle and lock it in. this way you can pick up the top grate and not worry about your rack sliding off.

another great use for the Turkey rack is to use it just as it is placed for ribs but hump a brisket over it that is too long for the cooker. Works great once the brisket has shrunk down remove v rack Timmer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim:
another great use for the Turkey rack is to use it just as it is placed for ribs but hump a brisket over it that is too long for the cooker. Works great once the brisket has shrunk down remove v rack Timmer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very creative! I'll remember that one for sure.

Thanks Rusty. Great tip. Worked perfectly on this weekend's two-split-rack bbq. I slid the half racks in, smoked for 3 hours, wrapped for 1, and laid them back on the roasting rack for another hour, sauced.

ribs roasting on turkey rack for final hour

I'm keeping my other racks for big parties. The turkey rack will be my primary from now on. Thanks again!

Back